A/C Compressor Questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
JYOUNYA1

A/C Compressor Questions

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

OK guys....summer is comming up and my A/C has not worked at all since I bought it used back in 2002. I am not gonna sweat this summer. Last year I used a freon seal leak kit to recharge the A/C,and the A/C would work for about 12 hours then back to driven with Satan. I don't have an earthly Idea where the leak is. I want to make sure all my seals on my A/C compressor are properly sealed...I have done a search and found some similar stuff but nothing on replacing seals on an A/C comp. If anyone knows a better leak tester kit that is affordable I am all ears. Or if I should just get a new compressor, rather than trying to reseal the one I have. Thanks

~Jay
93 MX-3 GS 1.8 Liter V6 Teal Mods: Pace (Maker) Setter Custom Catback/ Phantom Auto Meters: Voltage/ Water temp, Air/Fuel (in which not one gauge except voltage works) / Custom piece of s*** intake / 17" RacingHart Z5000 wrap in Khumos that are dry rotten / Altezza Tail lamps/ Custom Black interior (still in the works)/reverse indiglo gauges/ Push Button Starter/ Viper alarm with Proximity sensor/ Brembo slotted and dimpled rotors/ rear hatch shade/ Pioneer Premier DEH-840MP, ,2 custome fitted 6"inch pioneer door speakers, 1 Pioneer Premier 200 watt amp
andy

Post by andy »

Before replacing the compressor check the lines going in/out of it. I recently had to replace the o-rings on the high pressure side due to a leak. You can buy o-ring kits that contain many sizes just to be sure you have the right size. I also replaced the drier and several other o-rings. I was also converting to 134 freon. It has been nice and cold since.

Wipe the area clean, drive for a day with the compressor on. if its leaking you will see the oil running down the pipe.

Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

The first thing to determine is exactly where the leak is before replacing anything. It could be in a hose, the condensor, the evapotator, etc, etc. There's no reason to think its the compressor.

If you can't find a leak maybe you should take it to someone who has a leak detector. They shouldn't charge you much just to find the leak. Tell them you need to know where the leak is so you know how much it will be to repair. Tell them you're short of cash and will bring it back when you have the funds. At least that should solve the "where".
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

If you need a good compressor i got one :)
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
slimmyslim1420

Re: A/C Compressor Questions

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

JYOUNYA1 wrote:OK guys....summer is comming up and my A/C has not worked at all since I bought it used back in 2002. I am not gonna sweat this summer. Last year I used a freon seal leak kit to recharge the A/C,and the A/C would work for about 12 hours then back to driven with Satan. I don't have an earthly Idea where the leak is. I want to make sure all my seals on my A/C compressor are properly sealed...I have done a search and found some similar stuff but nothing on replacing seals on an A/C comp. If anyone knows a better leak tester kit that is affordable I am all ears. Or if I should just get a new compressor, rather than trying to reseal the one I have. Thanks

~Jay
You said you used a freon leak seal kit, did you buy the one to use for an R12 system. Since your car is a 93 chances are that it is not a R134a system. You can't even buy the R12 refrigerent without a license, so you have to get it refilled at a shop. They usually do all the necessary maintanace when they fill it also. You should definatly make sure which system you have before using refill kits and such. I'm not saying you don't know which you have just wanted to make sure.
1992 GS ZE swap 94 dash swap drilled and slotted rotors full ceramic pads CS SS clutch and brake lines KL-36 ecu zx-2 tokico struts eibach springs short shifter Tenzo exhaust Hi flow cat 2.5 in piping

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”