my cars keeps draining batterys

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
92mazdaman

my cars keeps draining batterys

Post by 92mazdaman »

first off im new to the forums so hello all!!! i have a 1.6 4 cyl. <92> and it keeps drainign batteries. i change the altinator and its still doing it i also noticed that the negative lead on batt. doesnty havea ground running to the car is that normal?? please help i need it to get to work today
im yergie
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

This is probably more Grants area of expertise.. but a off the top of my head guess.. I would probably check the starter. I have seen starter solenoids short out before and drain the battery. The starter can even still function while this is happening if the short isnt huge.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
92mazdaman

how

Post by 92mazdaman »

how would i tell if there a short ?
im yergie
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

The online shop manual should have a procedure for checking your starter and starter solenoid. You can find it located off the main http://www.mx-3.com page on the left hand side of the page.. a little ways down in the list of links there.

Or you could remove it and take it into a autoparts store and have them check it. Most places will test starters for free.

Honestly.. I would advise waiting a bit longer for more knowledgeable people than I to see this thread.. they may have better or more accurate advice to give.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

netcom

Post by netcom »

You could also have a short somewhere causing a power drain over time.

One way to check for a power drain is to get a test light (around $10 Cdn), remove your positive battery cable then take the test light clip, put it on the positive cable and touch the probe end of the test light to the battery positive. If the light goes on, you have a drain somewhere.

Next, with a friend holding the test light on the battery, go to your fuse panel and start removing fuses one by one, when the light goes out on the test light, you have found your problem circuit.

At least that can give you an idea of where to start.
2005 Acura 3.2 TL
1994 Suzuki Sidekick 1.6
1988 Mazda GTX (SOLD)
1984 Lotus Espirit 2.0 Turbo
1969 Firebird 400CI Ram Air III
92mazdaman

how?

Post by 92mazdaman »

do i take the cables off with the car running or no? i was also thinking that it might be a starter or a voltage regulator problem i just dont know!!! i got the test light ands im gonna do some test tomarrow but if anyone can help me id apprreciate it
thanks guys
im yergie
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

How long does it take to drain the battery? Do you mean it charges while you're driving alright and discharge overnight? Have you checked voltages whiles its running and stopped? You could also check the voltage with the battery disconnected.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
92mazdaman

no it doesnt charge

Post by 92mazdaman »

i can have the car sitting for like 8 hours and then it will firie hard but if i shut it off right after it will not start again for about 6-8 hours but when it does fire it fires hard i almost think its a stater issue or a voltage regulator issue i disconnected the pos. cable form the terminal and then used a light tester to see if there was a drain but the light didnt come on so i dont think there is a drain but yet im not a mechanic. any help would be appreciated
im yergie
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

The ppl who mentioned starter prob may be onto something. Starters go bad over time and don't just stop functioning permanently all at once. A failing starter will not turn the engine over if it's at a "dead spot" and eventually, after a long wait and/or several tries turning the key, will usually start the car. Over a period of days/weeks the prob worsens. Here's a really quick and dirty test scenario to determine if your battery is drained or not. When the car will not start, turn on the headlights. If you see strong headlamps but the still car will not start, the battery is probably not drained and the starter is a likely culprit. fwiw, I cannot recall a car that I've owned that did not need a starter replaced at some point. I never did a further diagnostic before replacing it than what is described above. My.02. g/l
Image -Jim
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

You mean????????!?!?!!!? I could have been right about something?? No freakin way dude LOL

Honestly.. It was a shot in the dark.. seen it happen once before with symptoms as you have described.. but there are so many other things that could result in that too.. but hey.. you have to start somewhere. Netcoms advice for testing for shorted circuits is also good.

Tunes67

Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

What it sounds like is the battery isn't being drained at all - it just sometimes doesn't crank.

Check all the connections on the starter motor (disconnect battery first) - remove them, clean them and put them back would be best.

No "clicking" as you try to start? If cleaning the terminals doesn't work it sounds like the solenoid. But usually if a solenoid fails it stays failed so you might be lucky. If its clicking, while it still could be a bad connection, its probably the starter motor itself.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
92mazdaman

what are cet codes

Post by 92mazdaman »

what are the cet codes and would apply to my electrical problems? i hooked up the light tester to the terminal and the lightdidnt go on so by your words i dont havea drain even though i think i do. ill drive and the clock in the car will be invisable then when you stop the power comes right back. im gonna pull fuses and clean starter tomarrow. heres hoping by the way i wanted to ask you guys i dont have a small wire to ground from the negative cable to the car is that normal all of my other cars had one is that right or should i put one on?
im yergie
Yoda

Re: what are cet codes

Post by Yoda »

92mazdaman wrote: Heres hoping by the way i wanted to ask you guys i dont have a small wire to ground from the negative cable to the car is that normal all of my other cars had one is that right or should i put one on?
The negative battery cable is the ground wire. If you follow it back it should go to the firewall then down to the engine. Have you checked all the primary ground wires from the engine to the block and tranny. Sounds like not enough current going to the starter. The OE wires tend to allow water to wick up under the insulation then the wires break were you can's see it.

No one has mentioned it yet but have you checked the battery. If there is and internal short in the battery or a dead cell the battery may only be supplying 10.8-11.5 V. I've seen this even with brand new batteries where there was a defective batch. I've seen were a battery was completely shorted out so that when you tried to boost the car the other car would start to stall and not sound happy and the dash light would start to dim But is you remove the negative cable from the battery the car would start right away and run off the alternator with no problems.
Grants
BANNED Member

Re: what are cet codes

Post by Grants »

92mazdaman wrote:what are the cet codes and would apply to my electrical problems? i hooked up the light tester to the terminal and the lightdidnt go on so by your words i dont havea drain even though i think i do. ill drive and the clock in the car will be invisable then when you stop the power comes right back. im gonna pull fuses and clean starter tomarrow. heres hoping by the way i wanted to ask you guys i dont have a small wire to ground from the negative cable to the car is that normal all of my other cars had one is that right or should i put one on?
You're giving us information on drip feed. Until now, you haven't mentioned any other problem except starting. From this post I'd have to say its not the starter motor. We can only give opinions and advice based on what you tell us so maybe you should list, in as much detail as possible, exactly what the symptoms are. The more accurate information, however trivial (like the clock?? which may be major anyway), will assist in getting more accurate diagnosis.

It seems unlikely its a missing ground wire (because the fault would be consistent) but if you're worried about it, put one in. Can't hurt.
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

have a electrican load test the car i had it done after i changed my alt and there was a huge ressistance in the power lead from the alt to the battery that could be the lssue also but i may have to agree with the starter short theroy also
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”