Has anyone tinted black/chrome/cf taillights lens?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Neil

Has anyone tinted black/chrome/cf taillights lens?

Post by Neil »

I've never seen them so i thought id ask, has anyone tinted the lens before of there chrome/black/carbon fiber tail lights? I know Sam put stock lens over top of chrome tail lights.

I'm just curious what this would look like.
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Ive seen them in red ting somewhere in the forums. I believe also black but red for sure ive seen. Try using search, good luck since i had no luck there.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
kylekizzle

check it

Post by kylekizzle »

I have mine done. Here is a pic.
http://home.cogeco.ca/~kylecoleman/11.JPG
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I know this is a really old posting... but has anyone else done this?

I tinted my chrome altezzas red about a year ago... they have since faded to a ghost looking altezza and yes they are VERY hazy now... I kind of like the look... very stealthy!

I used the same process as when you tint the stock tail lights amber turn signals to red.

IslandMx3

Post by IslandMx3 »

I tinted my chrome altezzas,
heres a pic
And
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Got any larger pics?
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

If you are going to do it you really need to talk to a body shop. The issue is that people are using off the shelf paints and they cannot hold up to the elements and sun. Perry of MOCA tinted both his stock lights and then altezzas and both faded to a hazy red after a year. You cannot easily sand and repaint them b/c and scratch in the plastic will show pretty easily, but you need anough of a rough surface for the paint to stick to. Maybe one of the body guys on here and shed more light on how to do it effectively.
Cannot remember his screen name, but the purple MX from Florida, he works in a body shop.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
IslandMx3

Post by IslandMx3 »

sorry no i dont have any larger pics
i used the THT night shades i think it was called
i wetsanded the tail lights numerous times and used alot of clear coat.
so far its been about 8 months and i have and i have had no problems with foggin or fading or anything.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Well I was just mostly curious if anyone else had done the red tinting. I'm no really a big fan of black tail lights although island mx3's look pretty good!

I don't mind that they have faded... good grief I drive a primered car so it really doesn't matter :D
IslandMx3

Post by IslandMx3 »

as stupid or funny as it sounds, i wanted to get them looking as close to the FD tails as i could. therefor i knew that tinting the oem tails would not give it the same look.
this however gives the exact same look.
ahhh its a hate it or love it idea i guess :P
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

If you want to sand down the faded paint you'll need to wet sand them. Use a really fine sand paper, a sanding block and of course water. You can use this same method for refinishing your headlights, though you will have to re-clear coat the headlights.
Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.
xcilver

light tinting

Post by xcilver »

What about heat shrink film tints? I did some lens covers for stage lights one time, and they were curved covers and it worked great! I will try to find the co. that we got the film from!

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”