Leaking Taillight

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
breenmachine

Leaking Taillight

Post by breenmachine »

One of my tailights, the euro ones, has a leak somewhere. I'm pretty sure its not cracked and may just need to be resealed but not sure what to use or how to reseal it. Anyone ever had to do this before or know how?

Since it's wintertime its not like a fishbowl or anything, just quite a bit of ice in there, the bulbs all still work and nothing burnt out or shorted which is sweet but when the ice melts I'm wondering if it could get bad.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

It will fog up when the ice melts and seems to be a pretty common problem.

Your hardest part will be getting all the moisture out before sealing them, so its really a summer job unless you can pull them out for a few days. Still got the OEM ones you could maybe put back in for a bit?

To seal them, take them out and just run a bead of (black) sylastic right around the edges. You just need to make sure theres no moisture left in there because you don't want to seal that in.

Luck with it!
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
93_4Banger

Post by 93_4Banger »

is sylastic just silcone sealant
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

took my altezza'a apart this winter and will be resealing real soon. i'll let you know how it goes.

try to dry them using a hair dryer and if that doesn't work (like me) you may need to open them up.
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

93_4Banger wrote:is sylastic just silcone sealant
Yep
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
breenmachine

Post by breenmachine »

where is the most common place for them to leak from? I tried actually filling the light with more water and couldnt find a leak anywhere.
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

It could be even as simple as a pinhole leak, just somewhere taht water can get in. Over time that little hole could build up a fair amount of water. Like others have said the best thing is to reseal them, or you could do what some others have done and take the lense right off. There are pics of it in the lighting forum. Slade had the pics up under "mmmMMmmm lights" or something of that nature. Best of luck though finding the leak and resealing them, it shouldn't be too hard.
Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

It's actually under the appearance section, here's the link...

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=49181
Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.
breenmachine

Post by breenmachine »

Well I resealed them a little while ago and they looked like they were good to go for a few days... I took the light out, dried it out for a day, baked in in the oven for 5 minute intervals, resealed it and let the silicone cure for another day.

After a few days though I can see a fog spot about an inch in diameter again, I have no idea where it would be leakin from I sealed all around the edges. Maybe the part where the lights themselves plug in? THey all had the rubber seals though.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”