Fresh air heater

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Medrik

Fresh air heater

Post by Medrik »

I have a 92. The problem I've having is with the fresh air heater. When I use it, it doesn't heat. When I switch to recycled air, all of a sudden there is a gust of really hot air. Of course after a few secs the windows fog up. The thermostat has already been changed, but nothing changed. I've owned a 323 '92 with a 1.6L and it heated better then the MX-3 1.6L that I have now.

It should be noted that when you put your hand on the vent, you do feel warmish air. I live in Montreal, so the state of my heater is important.

Thanks.
twoie

Post by twoie »

check to see if the flapper is actually moving corretly when you slide it over. sometimes the cables lossen and the controls only half work.

keith
Medrik

Post by Medrik »

That would affect the temperature of the air coming in?

Although I'm sure it works because after a fresh snow fall, when you turn the air on you get a splash of snow inside the car. Also you can hear the flap move.

Is there a radiator for the heater?
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

dont mention my name anyone, too embarassing, lol lol
Medrik

Post by Medrik »

What? Do you know what the problem is?
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

i had no heat in my car for a long time, I had a long thread 4-5 pages of diagnosing in the v6 forum.
ill try to help out a bit.

you have lots of air coming out of vents? hot or cold?

Sliders or electronic puch buttens for heater controls?

Twoie might be right about cables and flaps.
Medrik

Post by Medrik »

Definitely a lot of air coming out of vents. And I have sliders. On fresh air the air feels warmish, but the inside of the car never heats up. Unless I use it in the summer :). On recycled air the air coming out is very hot and the inside warms up fast. Although I can't see through the windows. Some people have told me it's normal because I have a small engine (1.6L). But the 323 I had, had the same size engine and it heated to the point where I had to turn it down.

Thanks,
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

I once heard that if you have an excessive amount of "steam" inside your windows, it is due to a bad or slightly leaky heater core. Ive also heard that if your car has alot of moisture in the floor, that may cause it also. You be the judge.

But back to the real problem... It seems since fresh air intake is cold, and recirculate is warm, there is a air valve problem. It sounds like you core is getting sufficiant flow because you said you get hot air when using recirculate.
Does the hot air last continually when using recirculate? if so...we can rule out "a bad core".
I've been so unsatisfied with my car since I joined mx3.com.
Seeing all the body kits, rims and engine swaps makes me want to spend all my student loans on my car.
Medrik

Post by Medrik »

Yes the recycled air does stay hot for as long as I keep it on. And it's not that the fresh air is cold it's just warmish. Which means that it doesn't heat the inside of the car if outside the temp is below 0C.

Just to be clear when I say the air is warmish, that's when I put my hand over the vent. The inside of the car is cold, very cold.
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

We can rule out a bad core, thank God! That is a pian in the a-- job.

Its almost the fresh air intake is letting in too much fresh air.
Im not the most knowlegable in this area. Check everything under you dash on the passengers side.
Im not sure where to go from here though, Hope I help out a bit.....
maybe the people reading this can pitch in also, lol lol lol.
I've been so unsatisfied with my car since I joined mx3.com.
Seeing all the body kits, rims and engine swaps makes me want to spend all my student loans on my car.
max kl

Post by max kl »

first i would ask you to adjust your blend door. its on the drivers side of the distribution box [big white thing behind ac radio pannel] it is only one cable on that side of the box if you push the tab holding the cable in the cable will come loose. before u disconect the cable move the hot cold lever on the heater control pannel back and forth while watching the cable move on the dis. box side you want to see 1 the lever on the dis. box moves smoothly and the cable dose not look bent or kinked 2 you wat to see wat direction the lever moves on the dis box when you are moving the heat control lever to the red or hot side . now you no what direction hot is on the dis. box disconect the cable and see if you can move the lever on the dis. box any further hot. if you can. [gently no hammer or plyers! ] then adjust cable . if not your blend door inside the dis box may not be sealing very well.

also if the air can get uncomfortablly hot on recycle then i would want to ask other peaple with mx3s and protogays if its common cus the fresh duct pull from the top of the windsheild and if its 0C outside i would expect the frozen air to cool down the little heater core

one more i have seen alot of partilly clogged heater cores that wont get to full tempature to test warm engine and check the temps of both heater hoses at the fire wall hands will work fine if one is noticeablly cooler that core is clogged. both hoses should be very simalar temps
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
Medrik

Post by Medrik »

Thank you. That last part you mentioned rings a bell somewhere in my dark twisted mind.

Since I'm not really a car mech, more of a computer tech. What do you guys think of Dealer service?

I've brought this problem to my mechanic before, but he hasn't been able to track the problem down. He is great for most stuff, but he has dropped the ball on this one.

Thank a lot,

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”