alternator testing ?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
m92_MX3

alternator testing ?

Post by m92_MX3 »

how do you test an alternator ?
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

take your car to Autozone, or a car parts place. Alot of them have a machine they can connect to it to test it.
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

get a multimeter and put the connections on to the batter and it should read about 14-14.5 volts
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
Devilhog

Post by Devilhog »

The battery test just shows that it is charging the battery. It doesnt show if the altenator can keep up with electrical load. I can allready tell from my lights dimming every time I brake that my alt is hooped but yet it still charges the battery.
nicksmx3

Post by nicksmx3 »

autozone'll do it for free
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Slightly on/off topic:

If I was interested in purchasing a new alternator, preforably one with a much higher output, where should I look, and for what car would it be listed under?
Devilhog

Post by Devilhog »

Dont look to far, order yourself a GS alternator, a couple of the GS alternator mounting bolts and get your mechanic to swap your RS Alt pully with the GS pully. Waam Baam Thank you maam ;)

Thats what im doing in a month or so.

Buy brand spanking new. No rebuilts or used.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

There is an easier way to test an alternator. Crank the car and pull the positive battery cable. If the car stays running then the alt is fine. Be careful when you pull the cable though. You need to pull it off quickly so tha it doesn't ark much (and it will ark some no matter how fast you pull it).

As for the dimming lights, that is the power regulator. It is a part of the alt, but all MX-3s do it, so it doesn't mean your alt is bad or going out. You can help the dimming lights by getting a ground wire kit or a secondary power regulator.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Devilhog wrote:Order yourself a GS alternator and a couple of the GS alternator mounting bolts.
Where would I order it from?
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

can you bench test them ?
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”