shift linkage problem, i really need help!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kimlin85

shift linkage problem, i really need help!

Post by kimlin85 »

I wintercrossed my car with snow tires, its a klze gs. anyways i did great and it was a lot of fun. then i let the president of my car club drive the car... needless to say its all messed up now. of course he claims that its not his fault, but i know that car and i know it was fine when i gave him the keys.

the shifter is all screwy. i can get into gears, but the shifter is able to move up and down and slide all around. if i push it down very hard i can get it into gear. so basically it runs, but whatever holds the linkage in place must be damaged. does anyone know what i should do about this?
raspberry metallic 2.5 klze, clutchmasters stage II clutch, ss autochrome headers, kl31 ecu, magnaflow cat, twm shortshift, corksport rear strut tower bar, clear turnsignals, and lots of dents.
shawno

Post by shawno »

It may also be the tranny to he may have wore down the srycos in the tranny.
92 GS KL-ZE, millenia intake, 5 Speed, Custom eyelids, custom molded 98 Toyota supra tail lights, Lowered, lambo doors. Still under construction, And more to come
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Is the shifter sitting pretty sloppy in the shift boot. If so he may have popped a retainer clip that holds the shifter firmly in place in the interior side of the shifter mechanism. Climbing underneath the car to see if the mounting base plate for the shifter assembly directly under the shifter itself may have broken away. A sometimes common problem if it had been rusty before and his aggressive shifting may have broken it free. There was a Group Buy of sorts for a homemade style retaining bracket that's available through here. Check nw product development forum for that.

Also, haven't recieved an answer back on my pm for your PayPal addy so that I can pay for the leather shifter. Thanks,
John
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Other than that groub buy that Gro Harlem was running you can take the shift boot off and just drill a hole in the plate and bolt it up to the car. Makesure to drill through a spot where the plate overlaps the unibody so that the bolt will hold the plate to the car. We just did it on AltMX-3s car and it works just fine.

PS, he didn't do anything that wasn't bound to happen anyway. It was a poor design that wears out over time. Alot of Mx-3s have it happen and that is why Gro Harlem did the group buy to fix the problem. :wink:
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Agreed... I would check this first.

Here is a crappy diagram of how to bolt up your shifter linkage & shifter Rod:

While this is on the car, you need to drill thru the bottom of the plate where I have marked.

The green nut/bolt is where it will come thru the car at.

Dont forget to wear eye protection!
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
kimlin85

Post by kimlin85 »

edit: i can have my friend help me out with that, im very happy that its not a big deal. you guys are great, im going to print those diagrams for him.
raspberry metallic 2.5 klze, clutchmasters stage II clutch, ss autochrome headers, kl31 ecu, magnaflow cat, twm shortshift, corksport rear strut tower bar, clear turnsignals, and lots of dents.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”