exactly what is air intake?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
heatherc

exactly what is air intake?

Post by heatherc »

okay..yea i know all you guys talk your technical chit-chat, but i am catching on slowly...exactly what is "air-intake" and how will it help me performance wise? is it one of the first mod's i should make to my 4cyl.? (i just really don't know what to do first???):0<P>hgcmx3
-----------------------------------<BR>_/*\_ ¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤·.<BR>\ M׳/¸.·¤**¤ müÇh LØVê †Ø M¥ m×鮊<BR>/.·*·.\¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤<BR>-----------------------------------
92RedGS

Re: exactly what is air intake?

Post by 92RedGS »

Air intakes basicly are tubes that relocate your filter to a colder air source so the engine gets cold air. Cold air in your engine ='s more horsepower
92RedGS :)<BR>I'm Sorry, Officer, I didn't realize my radar detector wasn't plugged in. Say aren't you the guy from the Village People?
yeloboy

Post by yeloboy »

what an intake is... it replaces the stock air box with a tube for air flow.when you put this on, there is nothing to block the air filter on the intake,unlike the stock air box. and you will have colder and more air entering your engine.= horsepower
INFAMOUS YELOBOY
heatherc

Post by heatherc »

okay.i see now...do these tubes..tube lead to anywhere in particular? i mean on the incoming side.....and do i completely omit the airfilter? does this in any way compromise the engine? because if it leads to more horse power why aren't these engines made this way in the first place?<P>thanx for the info.<BR>hgcmx3
-----------------------------------<BR>_/*\_ ¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤·.<BR>\ M׳/¸.·¤**¤ müÇh LØVê †Ø M¥ m×鮊<BR>/.·*·.\¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤<BR>-----------------------------------
yeloboy

Post by yeloboy »

an air bypass valve will keep that water and rain out of your intake and engine
INFAMOUS YELOBOY
mxcess

Post by mxcess »

I just wanted to add to those less informed that most aftermarket intake kits use a conical(?spelling) filter which looks like a big cylinder with one end smaller than the other or a cone with the pointy end chopped off(K&N). And some use a filter that looks like the top of a mushroom. Just look in any car, truck or performance mag and you can see one in almost every ad. Summit Racing is a good example.<BR>Heather, the most common up-grades for starters would be a set of underdrive pulleys (the pulleys are smaller than factory to cut down on parasitic drag on the engine) and cold air intake as above, and a reprogramed chip (computer chip that controls the engine functions-fuel, air, and timing,etc.) JET makes one for the 4 banger even though some would say it isn't that noticable of a change. Then an after market ignition system like Jacobs or MSD with a high output coil and wires. Then you might go with an adjustable cam gear which attaches to the camshaft and you can have it degreed to get a little more power out of the engine. I almost forgot the most important... An aftermarket exhaust system. It helps the engine by not restricting the exhaust gases and freeing up more horsepower. This is just a short list to get you started. If anyone else wants to add something that I forgot or if you disagree with me please say so so I won't look like a fool. Image Image Image After all this you can get into NOS AAAHHHH! The Juice! But this is only for those that want to get to point A to point B in the shortest amount of time. Image<BR>Hope this helps and BTW this is my current "wish list" for my '92 rs.<p>[This message has been edited by mxcess (edited September 15, 2001).]
heatherc

Post by heatherc »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mxcess:<BR><B>I just wanted to add to those less informed that most aftermarket intake kits use a conical(?spelling) filter which looks like a big cylinder with one end smaller than the other or a cone with the pointy end chopped off(K&N). And some use a filter that looks like the top of a mushroom. Just look in any car, truck or performance mag and you can see one in almost every ad. Summit Racing is a good example.<BR>Heather, the most common up-grades for starters would be a set of underdrive pulleys (the pulleys are smaller than factory to cut down on parasitic drag on the engine) and cold air intake as above, and a reprogramed chip (computer chip that controls the engine functions-fuel, air, and timing,etc.) JET makes one for the 4 banger even though some would say it isn't that noticable of a change. Then an after market ignition system like Jacobs or MSD with a high output coil and wires. Then you might go with an adjustable cam gear which attaches to the camshaft and you can have it degreed to get a little more power out of the engine. I almost forgot the most important... An aftermarket exhaust system. It helps the engine by not restricting the exhaust gases and freeing up more horsepower. This is just a short list to get you started. If anyone else wants to add something that I forgot or if you disagree with me please say so so I won't look like a fool. Image Image Image After all this you can get into NOS AAAHHHH! The Juice! But this is only for those that want to get to point A to point B in the shortest amount of time. Image<BR>Hope this helps and BTW this is my current "wish list" for my '92 rs.<P>[This message has been edited by mxcess (edited September 15, 2001).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>thanx..think i'll start with the exhaust,,,probably the cheapest mod to start off with...<BR>heather Image<BR>
pelado

Post by pelado »

I got my Pacesetter catback for about $150 from JCWhitney, the Walmart of auto parts!
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
mxcess

Post by mxcess »

pelado- How do you like the Pacesetter exhaust? I was thinking of getting it for cosmetic reasons and a little better sound. Not really looking for performance gains (Getting too old :( ). Since I live in Texas, I'm not too worried about it rusting out since they don't use salt on the roads in the winter. Which makes it a bi**h to drive with ice on ground. Thanks for the reply in advance.<BR>Robert

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”