Cleaning engine bay

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
hgallegos915

Cleaning engine bay

Post by hgallegos915 »

HEy my ingine bay is NASTY when my car was in a fire it left black rsidue on the valve covers..they did not melt but looks smopked, them gt intake manifold is black ew my strut bar is black and not chrome anymore. I am SO unhappy with the look. I tried using engine degreaser and did not work. I used carc cleaner and worked a bit. Anyone got any good ideas on cleaningnthe mess out? I even used water. Car runs perfect but looks my car has one to really bad to REALLY worse.. ew cracked dash , melted wiper cown , sanded the car down, projector lights stained. Any ideas on the engine bay and manifold?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Pressure cleaner...
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Some detail shops will clean engine bays. Tell them what happened and they will tell you if they think they can help or not. They probably won't guarantee any results, but their industrial cleaners will help.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

Cover the whole damn engine in greased lightning, let sit for bout a minute and blast off =)
DizzeeRascal

Post by DizzeeRascal »

is that safe to just blast ur engine with water? what about the electrical stuff...

sorry i'm a n00b
...like a fat kid on a smartie
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

NO its not. Well. Ok yeah it is, but you'll have some problems if your not carefull. I had a bit of a bat experiance with this.

Soo, basically just stay away from your plugs and disty and your fuses. I blasted my engine bay, and tRIED to be carefull but i got some water by my plugs. Now, I'll admit my plugs needed seriouse replacement, but my engine was mis firing badly. Now it could of also been the disty cap. Cuz i replaced that, PCV valve, and plugs and it ran perfect again.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
Neil

Post by Neil »

The mazda dealership here does it, but they charge and arm and a leg. I'm just going to wait until my engines out for the swap and have it done than.
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
reprobation

Post by reprobation »

Here's what you do:

Get a rag or a dirty-Tshirt... stuff it between the the plugs and valve cover so that its pretty much flat with the valve cover (im assuming you have a DOHC RS like mine :P) then take a regular ole plastic bag and wrap your distributor cap with it.. take a rubber band and wrap it around the base of the disty.. Use simply green or Grease Lightning.. Simply green will pull oil off of everything really well.. but it will also fade paint.. so BE CAREFUL - it also has a warning against using it on plastic parts.. so i would aviod that as much as possible.

I personally use the Grease Lightning.. its cheap ($2.47 at walmart :) ) and it works well.. Just spray that stuff everywhere and hose it down with a pressure washer at a self-serve carwash..

After your done.. dry off the valve cover and the anything else you don't want spots on.. make sure no water gets on the disty or underneath your rag (some whater can get there.. just don't let it pool up so that it gets to the plugs) and remove your bag :P

And whalla! finish up with alittle bit of Armor All on the plastic pieces and your done!

-Chris
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

I used an aerosol degreaser... literally just sprayed it on, waited about a minute for it to set, and sprayed it with a pressure washer. BOOM! clean engine bay. :D Not perfect, but waayyyyyy better than it previously was.
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

jaschke

Post by jaschke »

hey naeem do u know the name of that aerosol degreaser you used?

Return to “Appearance”