toshiba satellite A75-S209 overheating

Off-Topic Discussions
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

toshiba satellite A75-S209 overheating

Post by mitmaks »

These laptops all overheat, how could I try to fix it. other than that its great laptop
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
freakyalien

Post by freakyalien »

Not a whole lot you can do...you could try simple things, like setting the back end of it up off the table with a book or something...or something a lot more complicated...want to try adding some heat sinks? :D

The book under one side is a better idea- trying setting a small fan (cpu fans work great) next to it to get some airflow on the bottom of the laptop
Vroooom
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

It's not a great laptop is it's prone to overheating. If your not the only one that is having that issue, than it's a design issue. Part of the problem is that it's a Pentium 4, even if it was the mobile version, IMO desktop processors do not belong in laptops because of your exact problem, they are not designed from the group up as being heat and battery-comsumption friendly. As well, you have an ATi Mobility video card. ALthough it wont be a main factor for heat until you start to do some intence stuff like gaming, it does create more heat than a basic onboard video and I do believe it may have it's own cooling system.

In the BIOS, is there options to "downclock" the CPU. I believe it should have some speedstep options to decrease the speed of the CPU. Actually even better would be if you should control that within the CPU itself. Actually I remember a program called CPUCool, you would get the program to slow down CPU usage to cool it down. You could give that a try. But short of modifying the laptop to increase airflow, that's all you can do is use the laptop's configuration and software to control the speed of the CPU. If you wanted to get crazy, you could try upgrading the fan, drilling/cutting additional vents or making the exisitng ones larger, but there's nothing much you can do.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

http://www.svc.com/nb-coolers.html
if you use it on a desk, i've heard that these help alot.
1993 RS Teal
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Re: toshiba satellite A75-S209 overheating

Post by FlyVFR »

mitmaks wrote:These laptops all overheat, how could I try to fix it. other than that its great laptop
Check your cooling fan and clean if a lot of dust is present on the blades.
:idea: You may want to do an Internet search for software that controls the laptop cpu fan.

This laptop needs air circulation on the base, since the cooling fan is ported there.

You may want to check out the Toshiba support site for any updates.

Good luck!

Return to “Off-Topic”