stand alone

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hoffman_BMX89

stand alone

Post by hoffman_BMX89 »

i really want to do megasquirt but i am kind of scared getting it i have no idea how to tune anything. I am pretty sure i will be able to install it but i dunno about tunning, also what unit to buy everything about this whole megasquirt thing is just a haze to me. I have an obd2 car with a ze in it there are days where the car absouloutly runs like s--- well not really like s--- but it needs more power the cheapest thing and smrtest thing to do would be tunning. So i want to do a megasquirt for the summer but i need help would anyone in the toronto area help me with this, everytime i read stuff about megasquirt i dont understand anything.
95 Mx-3 GS [R.I.P.]
96 Mx-3 GSR [Sold]
97 Mitsubishi eclipse spyder [For Sale]
97 Saturn SL2 [Sold]
03 Corvette Z06 [Current toy]
98 Saturn SL2 [Daily]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2176731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: stand alone

Post by jschrauwen »

hoffman_BMX89 wrote:i really want to do megasquirt but i am kind of scared getting it i have no idea how to tune anything. I am pretty sure i will be able to install it but i dunno about tunning, also what unit to buy everything about this whole megasquirt thing is just a haze to me. I have an obd2 car with a ze in it there are days where the car absouloutly runs like shat well not really like shat but it needs more power the cheapest thing and smrtest thing to do would be tunning. So i want to do a megasquirt for the summer but i need help would anyone in the toronto area help me with this, everytime i read stuff about megasquirt i dont understand anything.
I don't know a heck of a lot either when it comes to megasquirts "inner workings". And all I want it to do is perform similar taskes that the OEM ECU does , but do them better. Cuurent Bulk Buy on Probetalk should explain otr take some of the mystery out of it for you. Being that it's intended to retain the oem ECU and just piggy back with it to do a few key funtions - control fuel and spark. There is a Megasquirt BB that you can surf through also. Some of the generic Megasquirt site info can be confusing because it has to take in to consideration vintage type cars, muscle cars, European, Japanese and domestic cars. Therefore some of the explanations can get confusing because they may often refer to engine items or parts that are not even fitted to our cars. By following some of the threads on Probetalk that deal with user problems,you'll be able to get a better perspective as it directly relates to the KL engine.
Having said all that. I wouldn't consider Megasquirt as your saviour from your reported intermittent poor performance where you say it will "run like shat". Looking for a high state of tune to scratch out the last bit of power attainable from the ZE is an excellent goal. Although a megasquirt is not going to fix a poorly tuned engine, rather it will enhance a finely tuned engine. Making sure everything is 100% serviceable and within specified specs, like the O2's, the IAC, the TPS, PCV, VAF, fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, plug wires, disty cap, rotor and contacts, timing, correct IM TB VAF ECU for engine configuration, all fluids, all hoses, all vaccum lines, all exhaust components. As soon as one starts taking away from these requirements, the level of tune deminishes.

Mr Hoffman, before jumping onto the MS as tuning fixer, it may be best to systematically go through every system of your car to see where the short falls are. Inconsistant performance or lethargic performance won't be remedied by MS. If you like to post specifics on your tuning performance perdicament, then we may be able to disect and discover where the faults may lie. g/l
*john*
FWIW, I had no idea what a substantial difference in performance could be gained by changing plugs, fluids, filters and by doing a thorough cleaning, verification and calibration of the TB/TPS.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
markmclean

Post by markmclean »

:2thumbsup: wow john well said...gotta start with sound fundamentals or risk having expensive mods actually detract from performance or even result in catastrophic failure
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

well i actually just bought a MSnS and completely removes the stock ecu :D if anyone does know how to tune MS in the gta id like to learn but i will probly get it tuned by a shop
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”