HID conversion

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
slowmx3

HID conversion

Post by slowmx3 »

I just installed an HID conversion to my mx-3 and let me tell you they are amazing. Finnaly there isn't a shawdow infront of my car when another car is behind me! I was kinda scared about spending all that money on lights, but after driving 700 miles during the night yesterday I have no regrets! Plus they look amazing! So anyone who is thinking about it I say go for it! Just be careful on what brand of kit you get.
1992 mx-3, a couple mods, i'm still a n00b
---Don't try and church your car up, MX-3's aren't fast---
hoffman_BMX89

Post by hoffman_BMX89 »

i want details did u use projectors or the sock lights how difficult is the install can we see pics and what kit did you use and how much was it
95 Mx-3 GS [R.I.P.]
96 Mx-3 GSR [Sold]
97 Mitsubishi eclipse spyder [For Sale]
97 Saturn SL2 [Sold]
03 Corvette Z06 [Current toy]
98 Saturn SL2 [Daily]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2176731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Taras

Post by Taras »

Can we see pictures of the beam pattern?
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
slowmx3

Post by slowmx3 »

I don't have a camera so i can't take pictures. I used a kit from Pilot for the stock headlights. The install was super easy, this kit has the ignitor and ballast built into one unit instead of having to mount two boxes. All you do is run the wires off the stock harnesses. The kit costs $200 and I got it from ebay. I was skeptical at first so i emailed like 20 of the people he has sold the kit to and didn't get one bad review. They probably aren't quite as good as an HID bulb in a projector, but being the price difference it is a much better alternative to projectors. Like ever other mx-3 owner i wanted better lighting and didin't like the look of projectors and specially didn't like the price of them either. This is a great alternitive and the light output is amazing!
slowmx3

Post by slowmx3 »

How far away from a wall should i be to take decent pictures of the beam pattern? I don't know why you say that these lights wouldn't work good with stock housings cause mine work amazing.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

slowmx3 wrote:How far away from a wall should i be to take decent pictures of the beam pattern?
25 feet. Try the headlight aiming directions contained in the link to get your set-up right - up/down of each unit as well as inward/outward. This should help to get the best and cleanest light pattern with the optimum beam cut-off spot.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Taras

Post by Taras »

jschrauwen wrote: 25 feet. Try the headlight aiming directions contained in the link
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html
Those are actually if you have a cut-off to your lights....
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
DJPRO

Post by DJPRO »

I put in my HID's 3 years ago & it was worth it. It was night and day. But I had no high beams :( I have since purchased glass headlights with RAZO bulbs and put HID's in the J-spec fogs. Now I have the best of both worlds. :D

later,
dee
'92 MIATA
'93 MX-3 BPT
'08 CX-9 AWD GRAND TOURING
Taras

Post by Taras »

I love people with HID kits that lose their high beams, especially those purple ones. Every time they are in the opposite lane and I get blinded, I give them a taste of my Bi-Xenon and Halogen High beams.. Mine are probably a few brighter but it's only fair. May be eventually, they wiull get an idea.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
mx3dude
Supporting Member

Ebay Kit

Post by mx3dude »

Is this the Ebay kit being discussed?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon-HI ... 8196QQrdZ1
95' MX-3 RS, front and rear stabilizer bars, B&M short shifter, homemade ground kit, all power options just installed, passport 8500 X50 radar detector (+15HP, -8mpg, +20mi/hr top end on the highway)

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”