Suspension Problem...something stuck?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Vanished

Suspension Problem...something stuck?

Post by Vanished »

Ok so, I'm no suspension Guru here, so I need your help.
First off, some info. Its a 1992 MX-3 GS, 5speed, stock, original write off. My left rear strut is leakin and that is the only known problem.
Its -25 degrees outside, snow everwere. I keep my car in the garage so its constantly thawing/freezing, theres snow/ice builup everywere

Now I was drivin today and I noticed that whenever I whent over a very slight bump, the left rear side of my car would go up and down ONCE, very forcefully. Its not the strut I dont' think, because it didn't bounce around, just when up and down sharply and stopped.

I was just about to leave just now, when I noticed that my left rear side was extremely low. The tire is about a cm or two inside the wheel well. When I try lift up the body of the car, it doens't move. When I push down, it doesn't move. Now, there is alot of snow and ice buildup under there, so could something be stuck? If yes, what?

Now if somethings broken what would it be? Give me suggestions on what to look for, and I'll take my wheel off and look at it/clean it as soon as I can, so any help is appreciated.

Ty
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
93_4Banger

Post by 93_4Banger »

Double-Post

stop it you craka hahah

I think yer sutck between a rock and a hard place
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

It is easily a broken spring or a totally worn out strut. My money is on a broken spring...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
93_4Banger

Post by 93_4Banger »

ty thats a sign for a new custom suspension set-up
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

hahah damn..

well it think what happened is some water got into the strut (cuz its leaking) and then froze.

I'm defantly thinking about some seriouse suspension work, what woudl you guys recomend?

Eibach sprink for sure

what kinda strusts tho?

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

kimlin85

Post by kimlin85 »

its just an excuse to upgrade!
raspberry metallic 2.5 klze, clutchmasters stage II clutch, ss autochrome headers, kl31 ecu, magnaflow cat, twm shortshift, corksport rear strut tower bar, clear turnsignals, and lots of dents.
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

oh yeah i know...thanks for the very minimal help anyway tho.

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Vanished wrote:oh yeah i know...thanks for the very minimal help anyway tho.
Minimial help - sheesh. You already know something is definitly wrong/broken. You asked for input and you got both sides - spring and strut since you already stated that the strut is leaking and therefore needs replacing anyway. You mentioned the car was a write-off - I hope you weren't expecting no surprises. If not, than a complete and thorough inspection would have been the order of the day to possibly find potential problem areas ahead of this. You also have the option of going to a number of different shops - Midas and the like that will do free inspections. That said, if your in the frame of mind is to fix your suspension woes and would like to put after market on, than it would be best to research all of the threads pertaining to the same question you asked regarding the best recommended set-up. This question has been asked too many times moreover and the answers still come out the same - more or less. Do the homework and do the research. Once you've decided on which is the preferred set-up than source through various suppliers/ebay and while that's going on you can also source a reputable suspension shop (not read as the cheapest) that will install the products you purchase. One consolation, sourcing after market pieces can usually be less expensive than replacing with oem Mazda parts and can be just as reliable.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

ah yes nothign like a post from jschwauren. Lol...yes i knew there were going to be suprises, and I took it to glenwood after i got the car to see what suprisies awaited me. Nothing to seirouse, some rad hoses needed replacement, CV boot needed replacement, and the strut was leaking...I won't get into detail, but it was all repaired, exept the strut. ANYWAY, thank you for your post, and I have begun researching what I need for my new suspension setup. I'm letting my car thaw out in some underground parking tomoro too see if whatever is frozen will thaw, and if it doesn't then somethings broken...

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

rusty

Post by rusty »

Something similar has just happened to me as well. I noticed one day since it's gotten cold out that the rear end is solid. you can push down on the back of the car and it doesn't move at all. I guess the rear struts have frozen up. It rides like a wheel barrow with no rear suspension. So looking at performance struts and springs and will upgrade all 4 corners.
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

hey looks like were in the same crap here...good to know. Take your car to an underground parking lot and do some christmas shopping for a couple days straite and let her thaw. I'm waiting till christmas till i drive it because its supposed to be plus 2 YAHOO thats unheard of.

OH question about suspension. I was lookin at the mazda speed struts. What would be the difference in performance if i got G.C. coil overs, or mazda speed and B+G springs?

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

rusty

Post by rusty »

maxdaspeed struts for the MX3 are discontinued apparently

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”