Newbie with 96 mx-3 1.8

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Chemical

Newbie with 96 mx-3 1.8

Post by Chemical »

Hi folks.
Posted here a while back when I was looking to buy an MX-3
Just bought one (finally) and now I have one I have some questions. I've tried to post a pic but don't think I've done it right so can anyone tell how to post pics?

It is a 96 1.8 , silver with standard alloys. Do any other mazda alloys fit- just I don't really like these and would like 16/17 inch. My drivers window is slow on going up becuase the window itself tilts forward slightly and catches it- remedies?
Also the heater only works on 3 and 4 speed- quite strange but is that a common problem and if so how do you fix it.
There seems to be moisture in the car too cuz it fogs up all the time but can't find any dampness in the car??!!
And finally... very close ratio box which is no surprise but at 80 mph I'm pulling 4500 rpm which is not great for long distance fuel economy... I'm guessin this is just the way it is but was wondering if any of mx'ers have modded the box or anything to lower this slightly- 17 inch wheels would help slightly I guess. Anyway I'd appreciate any advice you guys can give.[/img]
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

The newer 17 inch Miata 5 spoke Enkei rims are a perfect fit, but why not get aftermarket ?

Thats perfectly normal, out fifth is very high revving on the highway, if you can get a hold of an mx6 box the first 4 gears are the same but fifth is better for higher speed/fuel economy, other then that its the exact same tranny
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hey congrats!!!! previous npost answered all your questions :) dont worry about the ratio lol out engines are high reving engines (compared to the traditional 5k nissans and other cars) Fuel economy is descent, its a small car . They were meant to be driven at those ratios. I heard mx6 tranny rocks..it can take you to 140 mph i believe but why wanna go that fast? Congrats and take pics for us :)
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

I only do 4000 RPM at 80 MPH - K8 V6, Standard wheels and manual 5 speed trany.

I wish I could get a 1996 V6 here in Connecticut.

Congrats and good luck with your new purchase!
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

JWMX3 wrote:Thats perfectly normal, out fifth is very high revving on the highway, if you can get a hold of an mx6 box the first 4 gears are the same but fifth is better for higher speed/fuel economy, other then that its the exact same tranny
No, the Mx-6 gearbox using a higher ratio, it's not just a longer 5th gear, it's over all radio is higher, being 4.11:1 instead of 4:38:1 like the Mx-3/Probe gearboxes. Another reason why they switch to the Mx-6 is also to get a longer first gear, since expecially after a KL swap, some people would like a longer first gear. I believe the only you may be talking about is the 626 gearbox, that *I think* gas the same gearing as the mx-6, but has a longer 5th, but don't quote me on that.

For the fogging up issue. What I did is just set the the air instead of "recirculate" to "fresh" and the fogging became significantly less.

I wouldn't want an 1996, it would mean that it's OBDII and a KLZE swap would be alot more difficult :P
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
JWMX3 wrote:Thats perfectly normal, out fifth is very high revving on the highway, if you can get a hold of an mx6 box the first 4 gears are the same but fifth is better for higher speed/fuel economy, other then that its the exact same tranny
No, the Mx-6 gearbox using a higher ratio, it's not just a longer 5th gear, it's over all radio is higher, being 4.11:1 instead of 4:38:1 like the Mx-3/Probe gearboxes. Another reason why they switch to the Mx-6 is also to get a longer first gear, since expecially after a KL swap, some people would like a longer first gear. I believe the only you may be talking about is the 626 gearbox, that *I think* gas the same gearing as the mx-6, but has a longer 5th, but don't quote me on that.
ok i thought the 626 and mx6 used the same gearing, but either way my point still stands you get better highway mileage as the revs will be a bit lower
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

oh also maybe your clutch is slippng, ill go for adrive today and notate my rpms.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

congrats on the car
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Chemical

Post by Chemical »

Thanks guys. I had already looked at the mx5/miata wheels on ebay and thought they might fit. My clutch is alright .. I think but it doesnt feel great.... I find it very touchy, biting point is low which I assume it should be but the pedal has play in it after that- if it goes then I 'll think about the mx6 box or the 626. Are they straight swaps, linkages etc?

So I see the fogging is a regular occurence too- any ideas why it happens, thought it might be the sunroof? Oh, and the fan speeds- any ideas as to why speed 1/2 dont work?

Lastly- can someone please show me how to post a pic???!

Image[/img]
snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

Posting a pic involves sticking the image on the web, and then linking it sorta like you have done there

you basically do [img ]http://www.the-address-to-the-pic.jpg[/img ]

no spaces in the img tags...

job done!

you can get an account at Imageshack (dunno the address) or Flickr for pictures - both available free of charge, - Flickr even has a copy/paste bit for forums below the image when you view it in full size :D
1997, Silver, V6
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

Goto http://www.geocities.yahoo.com and open an account and grab the free geocities web posting site option and post your pic on your new site. Then just right click the address bar and select copy. Then post your text on mx-3 and whenever you want to put the pic, just right click and post the link. It will show up for you on the post. Heres my car http://www.geocities.com/dejayxtravaganza/mycar
Good luck with your beast and hopefully you'll consider the GSR (KLZE 2.5 motor swap)CHEERS...Steve
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
Chemical

Post by Chemical »

PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

1. Sounds like the blower motor for the heat/AC is going out or the switch is going out. I hear the electronic switches they use on post 94' cars is prone to fail. I'd bet the switch is the culprit. Try and find one on here from someone. Shouldn't cost too much and they are easy to replace.

2. The tranny should be at 4000 RPM at 80 MPH. It is standard for a MX-3 and fine. I have a MX-6 tranny in my MX-3 and the RPMs are not different enough to notice much. I'd say don't do it. All the work is not worth the 200 RPM difference in gear ratios.

3. The window most likely needs to be greases. It is probably sticking and then pulling out of line because of it sticking. Grease the slides with a spray can of Lithium grease. The grease is white so use the spray stick so that you don't get the white grease all over the outside of the window track. You may also want ot pull the door panel off so that you can grease the whole track top to bottom.

4. Any 4x100 wheel will work, but I think only the Miata had 16 or 17" wheels. For the price, I'd just buy some aftemarket wheels.

Good luck with the Mx-3. I'm sure you'll love it just like we all do. :D
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
relisys_3200

Re: Newbie with 96 mx-3 1.8

Post by relisys_3200 »

Chemical wrote: And finally... very close ratio box which is no surprise but at 80 mph I'm pulling 4500 rpm which is not great for long distance fuel economy... I'm guessin this is just the way it is but was wondering if any of mx'ers have modded the box or anything to lower this slightly- 17 inch wheels would help slightly I guess. Anyway I'd appreciate any advice you guys can give.
Here are the specs on the 2 gearboxes..

Transmission .......Probe GT...................................MX6 LS
Gear Ratio Overall Ratio (Rpm) Mph .........Ratio Overall Ratio (Rpm) Mph
1st ..3.31:1...14.52:1.....(7000)..34...........3.31:1.....13.57:1...(7000)...35
2nd..1.83:1....8.05:1......(7000...62 ..........1.83:1.......7.52:1...(7000)...63
3rd..1.31:1.....5.75:1.....(7000)..86 ..........1.31:1......5.38:1....(7000)...88
4th..1.03:1.....4.52:1.....(7000)..109 .........1.03:1......4.23:1...(7000)..112
5th..0.80:1.....3.49:1.....(7000)..135 .........0.80:1......3.26:1...(7000)..141
Final ratio.............4.39:1.......................... ....4.11:1
Engine rpm @ 60...2980 rpm...........................2900 rpm
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Hey! Where did you find that info, I was searching all over the net yesterday for it
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”