Hold Button and Overdrive?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
rndmprsn

Hold Button and Overdrive?

Post by rndmprsn »

i have a 94 mx-3 rs with an auto-tranny...on the shifter there is a button that says "HOLD"...my question, what the heck does it do?

also...i read that overdrive was standard on my car, where would i find that?

thanks guys

RNDM
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

The hold button keeps the car in a low gear for decending steep hills. Use it so that you don't hold the brakes and over-heat them.

Overdrive is the fourth gear and the car will use it on its own when you reach your cruising speed.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
rndmprsn

thanks

Post by rndmprsn »

thanks much.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Also to add to that, you'll notice on your shifter you'll see a #1 beside S, a #2 besides L and a #3 beside D...basically what happens is that when you press it to HOLD, depending on which gear you have it in, will hold it at that gear. So if you have it on S, it'll lock it on 1st gear, L on 2nd gear and D 3rd gear, with the exception of a dead stop, it wil downshift to 2rd automatically when go to 3rd gear.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I use it on my Protege' for those really slick, snowy slippery roads especially out in the country (up and down the hills). I just leave the car in drive and prevent it from kicking into the overdrive gear when I back off on the throttle thereby giving me a little bit more drag so as to not need to touch the brakes as often. Kinda like downshifting with an MTX. I feel I have much better control on slippery conditions out in the country. Another consideration would be to use it city bumper to bumper traffic (while in Drive position) so that it keeps the ATX from always wanting to upshift when backing off on the throttle. Then when you accelerate again it's got to kick down a bunch of gears all over again - not good. Less up and down shifting of ATX means less wear and tear IMO.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

jschrauwen wrote:I use it on my Protege' for those really slick, snowy slippery roads especially out in the country (up and down the hills). I just leave the car in drive and prevent it from kicking into the overdrive gear when I back off on the throttle thereby giving me a little bit more drag so as to not need to touch the brakes as often. Kinda like downshifting with an MTX. I feel I have much better control on slippery conditions out in the country. Another consideration would be to use it city bumper to bumper traffic (while in Drive position) so that it keeps the ATX from always wanting to upshift when backing off on the throttle. Then when you accelerate again it's got to kick down a bunch of gears all over again - not good. Less up and down shifting of ATX means less wear and tear IMO.
Which ATX are you running on your KLZE?
Would a stock K8 ATX bolt onto a KLZE?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:
jschrauwen wrote:I use it on my Protege' for those really slick, snowy slippery roads especially out in the country (up and down the hills). I just leave the car in drive and prevent it from kicking into the overdrive gear when I back off on the throttle thereby giving me a little bit more drag so as to not need to touch the brakes as often. Kinda like downshifting with an MTX. I feel I have much better control on slippery conditions out in the country. Another consideration would be to use it city bumper to bumper traffic (while in Drive position) so that it keeps the ATX from always wanting to upshift when backing off on the throttle. Then when you accelerate again it's got to kick down a bunch of gears all over again - not good. Less up and down shifting of ATX means less wear and tear IMO.
Which ATX are you running on your KLZE?
Would a stock K8 ATX bolt onto a KLZE?
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Thanks Brandon. :lol:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote: Would a stock K8 ATX bolt onto a KLZE?
Yes, I believe so. Don't know why you would want to do that though. If you want to stay ATX, then why not keep the ATX that comes with the ZE? About 95% of the ZE's that get imported come with ATX's already. Hey, and they'll have a shatload less miles on them too - at lot less than our MX's and a better final drive too.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

jschrauwen wrote:
If you want to stay ATX, then why not keep the ATX that comes with the ZE?
Dont know if its true - but i found this following thread on klze tranny
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... uto+tranny
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

jschrauwen wrote:
If you want to stay ATX, then why not keep the ATX that comes with the ZE?
In the ATX section of these boards, the topic has been raised that the ZE ATX would be too big for our engine bays. It does bolt onto the ZE engine of course, as you said, they come with it. However, because it's supposedly too big to fit, it can't be done. And it's also been said that the torque delivered from the ZE engine would kill the K8 ATX in almost no time. That said, can anyone confirm for sure whether or not these suppositions are true? I can't seem to find anything definitive in the ATX section regarding this.
What I drive: A Cybertronian disguised in the form of a Creek Blue Mica 95 MX-3 GS. :driver:
Long term goal: Fabricating a new transformation cog! :welder:

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”