ECU swap?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
freyguy_412

ECU swap?

Post by freyguy_412 »

Hey, just a crazy thought I had today and couldn't find a thread that answered my questions...

Is there an ECU that I could swap in (looking for direct plug if possible) that would allow for a higher redline? I've got a 95 1.6 DOHC and I'm looking for 7000-7500 rpm.

Reason I ask: Our engines feature oil squirters and zero tolerence valves (what ever it's called where your valves could never touch the pistons). Other than valve float at higher rpm's, what could go wrong?

(Sorry if this question sounds dumb, but I peaked my own curiosity today and need help with this one :D )
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

There no ECU swap for the 1.6 DOHC mx-3 from what i know maybe a miata but i don't think they plug in play. you want these kind of rpm #'s u minus will swap in the 1.8 BP mines goes up to 7500rpm but never go past 7200rpm not worth damaging my motor. But from personal experince on my 1.6 sohc these ecu work(the motor turns on but i wouldn't advice running with it did it out of curiosity.)

1.8 SOHC ecu DX Protege
1.8 DOHC ecu LX Protege

Like i said tried it two see what happen they work on the 1.6 sohc not the 1.6 dohc u put these ecu's on dohc 1.6 i'll sound like s--- & run like s---. do it to a sohc 1.6 run normal drive normal but they'll throw many codes.
I wouldn't advice doing it but it answers what works what doesn't.

AS for this ? called a non-interference motor good to have when u snap ur timing belt happen to my BP replace it good to drive on. I belive the K series motors have them along with the B series motors and i thing the some F series motors.

(what ever it's called where your valves could never touch the pistons)

i hope this answers ur curiosity freyguy_412.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

Yeah, the Miata immediatly came to mind for me, but I don't think it would be compatable cause of the Miata's coil packs. I really didn't think there was a shot at plug and play, but I figured what could it hurt.

Is there any ECU the B6DE will run on besides the stock one?
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

do what i did find the ecu try it. its works it works if it doesn't u know ur answer. couldn't hurt to try right. but from the top of my mind i don't theres any other besides the stock one.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

Are we sure that the 1.6DOHC is non-interference?
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

I'm sure.

Why not reprogram the ecu to what ever it is you want to do?
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

might as well go with a haltek, cause there are no upgrades to the dohc ecu

jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
yiorta

Post by yiorta »

I wonder, can i plug the ecu on a 1,6 dohc and play? Aren't any software locks or problems with imobilizer, or something?

Ps.Q: I mean the ecu from another same 1,6 dohc! :oops:
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

jaydog... you hit it on the nose.

All I'm really looking for is a higher red line. I think the motor could take an occasional spin up around 7200 rpms. How would I reprogram my own ecu?

Or is there some kind of MSD electronic component that would bypass the stock rev limiter?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”