ECU reset: what does it achieve?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
petekav

ECU reset: what does it achieve?

Post by petekav »

Got my MX-3 about two weeks ago, and have used some STP injector aned STP multi-valve cleaner over the past two tankfulls, which has improved performance!
I have seen a few posts suggesting that reseting the ECU will remove flat-spots and sharpen pick-up etc. Is this true?
What does the ECU "learn" that gets reset?

Thanks
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I don't think it will do anything. The ECU will look for fuel changes and adjust accordingly. So if you cleaned the injectors and intake then the ECU will know automatically. Resetting it wouldn't hurt anything if you want to try it, but I don't think it will actually do anything.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

Its good for turning off that ugly orange light on the top left of your dash for about a half an hour :lol:
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

So does repairs.

I've never heard of resetting the ECU doing anything for any vehicle.
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

It will erase any stored faults for sure!
petekav

Post by petekav »

Thanks guys.
The car is running well right now, so I'll just leave it alone! :)

I'm getting a major sevice done soon at a Mazda dealer - will they reset anything once they've changed the timing belt, plugs etc.?
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

petekav wrote:Thanks guys.
The car is running well right now, so I'll just leave it alone! :)

I'm getting a major sevice done soon at a Mazda dealer - will they reset anything once they've changed the timing belt, plugs etc.?
Try not to reset an ECU unless you have repaired a part to resolve a trouble code and the light doesn't go off. The ECU is there to learn from the sensors of your car and report. The repairs you are going to be servicing will not require a reset of the ECU.
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”