Stock Sounds Better???? HELP!!!

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
flexboi

Stock Sounds Better???? HELP!!!

Post by flexboi »

Here's what's goin' on... Please Read it all, it's a grip to read, but it's as clear as I can get it.

Phase 1 - Stock cassette deck, I built a 4th order band pass box for my car, pushin' it with a 500 watt amp, bridged for the sub, using custom (rigged) high level input jacks, 6.5's in the doors and 5x7's in the back seat arm rests (I put them there, sounds alright).

This set up sounds hella good to me. The 12 sounds like (2) 10's or maybe 12's. This is where I need help.

I run my I-pod via a Cassette adapter, which I use instead of the Griffin I-Trip, due to the lack of a line in. I chose to replace the Stock deck with an aftermarket from the blackmarket LOL, had many choices, but non with line in. so I just picked a Pioneer DEH-3400 for now, when one with line in comes in I'll just swap it.

Problem #1 - RCA Jacks don't crack my sub, the sound sucks, no whomp in my bass. Switched to the high-input, but only 1 channel is pushin', (In process to see if there's something wrong)

with the stock deck, the sub is on as long as the fade is neutral or rear, and no matter if the balance is all L or R. And sounds the best out of other 3 Aft mkt. decks I tested.

Why does the stock crack harder than the aftermarket? The I-pod with I-trip sounds like a Music Video recorded on a Handheld Tape Recorder, I tried all config.'s.,

I am gonna reconnect the stock deck and use it for the Ipod, and use the Pioneer for CD's.

I appreciate any input! Thanks!
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

ok first thing dump the tape player thats so 80's... get a nice cd player. * cough cough eclipse rules cough cough* :lol: then there is this nice little thing called a FM transmitter there is hardwired and wireless. (wireless sucks tried it...) the hardwired one rules!! I did it to my freinds miata wired in a new cd player with the FM transmitter so he can use his IPod. It sounds sweet!!
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

I don't want to insult you, but I just need to check your basics...

You got your subs hooked up to the stock deck with those little "speaker wire to RCA jack" hook ups right?

You switched your amp to HIGH... You mean the FILTER right? I wouldn't expect to get any bass with the filter switched to high. You are filtering the low sounds with that switch on high, only allowing the higher sounds to your subs.

Pioneer isn't a bad brand, I'm running a pioneer premere myself. Did it have a sub out RCA jack or just a REAR?

Just need those facts.... I don't know it all by far but I want to help if I can
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

Thats true with setting the amp to high make sure its just bass coming out. You can kill subs that way if you have it set to high.
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

flexboi

Post by flexboi »

Thanks for the input.

First, the amp is switched on the LP filter not the HP, but the HU is connected to the amp via the high-level input jack where I split the rear speaker wires and made my own pins to fit).

I am not gonna get rid of the deck until I figure this out....the stock deck that is. IT"S DRIVING ME NUTS!!!

READ THIS CLEARLY: My stock tape deck provides awesome bass with my amp and sub in the box I built. But my cabin speakers don't have much clarity. It would only make sense that an aftermarket HU would enhance the quality ten-fold, but it doesn't. The bass sounds distorted, and there isn't much power, the high's and mid's are very good though.

The pioneer just has the rear outputs, which I came to think maybe those don't get any of the 50Wx4 boost, the 50x4 is specifically for the doors and rears.

I am setting up to just hook up both decks, it seems the easiest TO ME... Open for suggestions though. BUT I DON'T want to spend a ton of cash on a tranmitter, thanks for the info though, I am the type of person who would learn how it works and then try to recreate it at home with left overs. LOL.....

MAIN QUESTION!? is WHY does the stock set up sound better? Hope that got you a better picture of what I am trying to do, I know it might seem like too much F'n work, that's all on me, I am just lookin' for some help.
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

hmmmm try a different deck you never know could be the deck.
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

No, I think your issue is that you are using a high level input with the Pioneer deck. The Pioneer deck puts out 55watts and the stock deck is MUCH less. On a high level input (not the best choice in the first place, but on the tape deck I understand) the more power you have the worse the sound will be. The amp sounds like it is a low to mid quality amp otherwise it would pop a fuse from your pushing 50 watts into a converter and then into the amp via RCAs.
The RCAs from the Pioneer probably only put out about 4 volts and your getting alot more than that from the speaker wire. The amp just cannot handle what you are trying to give it.
My suggestion is to spend 30.00 on a good pair of RCAs from Radio Shack or a radio store and run them ontop of the carpet and over the seats from the radio to the amp. I bet you find that it fixes your problem. Also, if it doesn't work you can take them back, but I'd keep them and use them anyway b/c it will help.
PS, when running the RCAs under the seats and carpet a 12' wire will work depending on the route you take to get to the amp.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Brycek

Post by Brycek »

make sure you set your gain properly too, if your hearing distortion that could be part of the problem and now you won't run the risk of blowing your sub either.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

Your 'high level' adapter, takes the volume of speakers, and drops the volume a bit to your amp - it's a low impedence way, but it's low quality.

Now when u go to RCA's from the LOW END Pioneer deck's rca's output -> to the amp. It has to run through the VERY HIGH impedence low-level outputs of the deck to the amp. And the volume is cut in half

If you went with a better deck with a sub out, u will get better quality and less impedence on the low-level outs of the decks - and such a little more volume (as long as ur amp can take it).

He says eclipse because they have the lowest impedence of all the decks out there (withing the $300 - $1000 decks).

eclipse 5volt deck --> 55 ohms
Lowest closest compeditor -> 320 ohms
Most are around ->> 2.5kohms

but it seems your home made high level adapter is worth more than the cr@p end of the pioneer scale. If u get Pioneer u need at least the 4700 or higher.
But I'm sure other people can help u find a better deck or throw in there opions about some good decks
:lol:
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

ok, whew. Im still confued but here it is: For one, make sure the RCA cables are good. Dont use high level to low level RCA inverters if your deck has RCA outputs. If for some reason you are still using one of these nifty peices of junk on an aftermarket headunit, throw it out. Now hook your sub amp up VIA RCA's, If the LPF is set too low, your bass will be poor. You want it set to probably 80 or 90 Hz. If you cant adjust it, use FULL RANGE see if it sounds any better. (full range = all filters OFF) Make sure the deck doesnt have any filters itself or independant RCA (sub) volume controls that may be turned sown or set incorrectly. You also will have to turn up your gain if you are coming from a line level inverter. The thing-a-mabob for your ipod im not sure about, but if it is an FM transmitter kind its a POS..throw it out as well. Nothing FM sounds good from portable players.
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”