trans-axles

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
markmclean

trans-axles

Post by markmclean »

when swapping a kl with a manual trans into an auto car, which axles should i use? will the 626 trans and axle assebly fit or do i need a diff axle? and as far as durability, who makes a relatively bullet-proof axle for this setup? are the stock units sufficient under normal conditions(meaning i dont go to the track and thrash)
any help would be appreciated :?
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

stock axle will bolt right in place.
they should hold a ze performance, but if you're looking for better ones, driveshaft.com or something like that sells some but for like 600$+
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
markmclean

Post by markmclean »

so the axle length is the same in an MX3 and a 626 (no shortening needed) if so my life just got easier ha :D
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I'm pretty sure you'll want to get MX3 V6 MTX axles. The stock ones are fine for a couple hundred horses. Corksport.com sells heavy duty ones, but they'll cost you.
markmclean

Post by markmclean »

cool ty for the assist, ill need it lol im takin a 1.6 and converting it, but i have the luxury of a complete 626 donor car for all the parts ie harnesses, etc anything to make this b*tch of a task easier will work for me
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Just a minute. I believe everyones response may have been based on the premise that you were doing a 1.8 V6 swap to a 2.5 V6. But your last post indicates your coming from a 1.6 I4 ATX. That being the case there's a lot more involved than just confirming axle sizes. I cannot accurately list all of the necessary drive train / suspension mods needed to do this particular swap, but I believe it is covered in a number of places, - FAQ's, Previous posts (via search), MOCA and MX-3.com hompage. Once you've found out all of the nuances surrounding that particular swap you may decide to reconsider as many others have, since it's quite involved and can get quite expensive. I think others of the same perspective, subsequently decided to go the BP or BPT route. FWIW.
*John*
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
markmclean

Post by markmclean »

not to worry, man...ive already devised the plan, which, without divulging too many secrets, already includes a new suspension setup, electrical, fuel mgt, and drivetrain. This kinda project is nothing new for me, i grew up droppin bigblock chevys in XJ jaguars. All it boils down to is information and money. lol
ill keep ya posted on the progress tho.
(and yes the 454 drops right in, the b*tch was the wiring, but holy crap what a ride)
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Well, you'll be fine if you take the whole drive train out of the 626 and use it in the MX-3. You'll need to buy V6 MTX MX-3 axles for it, but they will hold the ZE power just fine. Unless, you use some sort of LSD. Then they will not take long to crap out and I'd suggest high HP axles.
You cannot use the 4 cyl trans on the V-6 (but I bet you knew that already).

Good luck, it will be a great ride when you are finished. 8)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”