ZE GAS QUESTION

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kp2t

ZE GAS QUESTION

Post by kp2t »

I am just trying to determine what the ZE really wants 4 fuel...

Not hear-say, facts i've heard mixed opinions on it

98 Octane is what I heard.... 94 Octane seems to do the trick, but I dont see a difference with 91 Octane also...

87 Octane has Ping
89 Octane has Ping
ImageImageImageImageImage
MAZDASPEEDMX-3

Post by MAZDASPEEDMX-3 »

i have put 87 octane in my ze and it didnt matter but i most always run 93 octane because of the performance
2002 Subaru WRX In the process of new motor build.
1989 Honda CRX Daily driven Beater. 50MPG!!
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

First, I don't know how how you get ping when we have a knock sensor to retard when it senses ping.

Then, I run 89 fine on my ZE pistons this whole last summer. I'm running 87 because I figure with below freezing air coming in, there's not much chance of pre-detonation.
kp2t

Post by kp2t »

good points....

not sure what I'll use... winter is here and now its time for money saving techniques for spring projects LOL
ImageImageImageImageImage
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

always run 94 in mine, I notice a huge difference over 91.
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
markmclean

Post by markmclean »

The octane level in most modern cars is less important than the quality of detergents in the particular brand. Modern cars are built to work on regular unleaded. The exception to this rule is when the manufacturer specifies premium unleaded, or if youve modified the engine with a forced induction system. Turbos and superchargers require the use of premium fuels. The reason we see performance gains with the more expensive grades of fuel is not the octane, but rather the detergents. Mobil premium is very good, but chevron uses Techron, a super-detergent which does a superb job of keeping the valves clean. Your local toyota dealership offers a can of concentrated techron to add to a tank of gas, which when used annually or bi-annually cleans all the crap out of the chambers, and its catalytic converter friendly. it isnt cheap tho, at about 50.00 USD a can, but as i said its only necessary once or twice a year. And no, i dont work for chevron lol, just got some years under the ol' belt
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

The ZE is supposed to have 91 or better. Japan has much higher octane ratings than most of the world. So the car is made ot run on higher octane. I can't see how a lower octane will not hurt perforamance in a ZE. However, ping is not good and should be looked into. As Lakersfan said out knock sensor should retard the car inot limp mode untill you get the ping fixed. (whatever is causing the problem)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
K-North

Post by K-North »

i have ran regular in my car.. but damn when i put that platinum in wow thats fun to take down that back road.. just burnss quick though ahahah... but will keep your engine cleaner
hey all im a new 92 mx3 gs owner... had a permance clutch but he blew the head gaskets when i bought it.. and theres a lower kit and exaust system.. so i guess i got a okay deal.. but damn wait.. just Dropped in a KLZE engine from japan
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: ZE GAS QUESTION

Post by jschrauwen »

kp2t wrote:I am just trying to determine what the ZE really wants 4 fuel...
Not hear-say, facts i've heard mixed opinions on it
98 Octane is what I heard.... 94 Octane seems to do the trick, but I dont see a difference with 91 Octane also...
87 Octane has Ping
89 Octane has Ping
94 octane for me
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

I have been watching this topic and there is still no clear answer. I just installed my KL31 ECU and wouldn't mind knowing what it was programed for. I put 91 in since the install and it seems to be very efficient but accurate facts are hard to come by some times. :?: :?: :!: :!: :shrug:
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

PATDIESEL wrote:The ZE is supposed to have 91 or better. Japan has much higher octane ratings than most of the world. So the car is made ot run on higher octane.
I think this covers it. Like in almost all vehicles, there's a stated minimum octane rating assignment. That said anyone should be fine if they use at least 91 octane in their ZE's.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

Sorry to open the discussion again but what milage are people getting at 91 octane/94 octane? I would post mine but I have not gone through even 1 tank yet so it would be inacurate info.
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I think I get something around 30mpg (old school ....LOL).

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”