blow valve with MAF??

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Joey's mx

blow valve with MAF??

Post by Joey's mx »

I was talking to a guy yesturday and he said I cant run a blow off valve because my engine has a mass air flow sensor...is that true?? I have seen some DOHC B6 motor boosted with blow off valves..so whats the deal??
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

that makes no sense u can have a bov with a maf but i dunno if ur supposed to have it after or b4 the maf but i am guessing b4 the maf so it don screw up the a/f mixture
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

well the way i see it done is pipe from intercooler to throttle body has the blow off valve on it....and the pipe from the turbo to the filter has the mass air flow sensor on it!!!
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

thats a crock of crap. you just cant run your BOV open to the atmosphere. you have to run it back in line before the MAF.

But that all depends on where you put your MAF. now if you put your MAF after your IC just before your TB, then you can run your BOV open to atmosphere. the BOV just has to be before the MAF. that way the MAF wont read the loss in air. other wise it will think you have a vacume leak, and your idle will fluctuate.
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

so it whould have to go .....trottle body-MAF-BOV-intercooler??
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

yes
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
D323

Post by D323 »

NO. You want the BOV as close to 6in to the TB.

It should go TB, BOV, VAF/MAF the IC.

The BOV is to protect the cold side of the turbo. When the TB closes the air bounces back, and BOV is there to release the pressure to protect the cold side.

You dont want air flowing the wrong way through the MAF/VAF. That will mess up you a/f as said.
GS + BP + T3 + 9lb flywheel - some dead weight = ;)
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

ok that actually makes more sense. i had the right idea but more to it.
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

so it wouldnt work right if i put the MAF between the turbo and the filter....and the blow off valve between the throttle body and the intercooler!!

Because i was looking at the mx-3 from 2 fast 2 furious the same set up as what i am doing and that is how his is set up!!

Here is that page i am looking at:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/282371/2
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

double posted accidentally
Last edited by fieromx3 on November 28th, 2005, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

If you want to vent your Bov and not have a problem with idle it needs to go.

Intercooler-->BOV-->Maf/Vaf-->Throttle body.

But heres another arguement for you.
Why do you want to Bov as close to the throttle body? Wouldnt it make more sense to place it before the intercooler? So the intercooler isnt doing as much work to cool the air.
it dosent make much sense to me to vent cool air, id rather vent hot air.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

Ok can poeple who have turbo set ups on there DOHC B6's please post pictures of there engines because this is getting really confusing!!! :shock:
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

To work right it has to go BOV----> MAF/VAF------>TB becauseif you put the BOF after the MAF the MAF well measure the amount of air and such liek its suppose to...but then ur BOV well let some of that measured air out...giveing ur comp false readings.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

To work with the MAF for an atmospheric BOV you have to go

Filter-> Turbo-> IC-> BOV-> MAF-> TB
this way the MAF wont read the loss in air.

to run it properly with the MAF as if it wre stock it needs to be

Filter-> MAF-> Turbo-> IC-> BOV-> TB
and you cant run it this way with the BOV to atmosphere, as the maf reads the drop in air. so you have to re rout the exit off of the BOV into the piping somewhere after the MAF and Before the Turbo.

and it really doesent matter where the BOV is located, as your piping has constant presure. alot of subarus and Volvos come with the BOV mounted to the IC. its all personal preferance
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

Ok understood now....but why is it that the mx-3 form 2 fast 2 furious has his MAF between the filter and the turbo??

Return to “Forced Induction”