Removing Decals

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
The Dark Prince

Removing Decals

Post by The Dark Prince »

Greetings to you all,

I just bought my MX-3 a couple of weeks ago, but there's one thing that bothers me. It had these hideous decals on the side. I've been trying to remove them this weekend, but it took me about an hour to remove just a little bit (i tried it with my fingernails). Does any of you know an easier way to remove decals from a car? It looks like it's been on there for a while, because it breaks off when i try to remove it. Your contribution will be much appreciated...

The Dark Prince
"Power Is All That Matters In This World, Everything Else Is Just An Excuse For The Weak.."
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

heatgun
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

and if you dont have one, a hairdryer always works. It is tedious work but a little heat goes a long way
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You can also buy some adhesive remover from Wal-Mart that will make it peel off pretty easily. It also removes the gummy crap (adhesive) that most stickers leave behind.
Alittle easier than a heat gun IMO. but both work.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
StylinMike

Post by StylinMike »

3m makes a decal removal tool called an 'eraser wheel' that you put into a drill and it takes it right off. Be careful tho, dont burn thru the paint.
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

I used a razor to get mine off, it was workin really well till i hit a little pebble scratch and the razor caught the paint, now i've got this tiny little lightinging bold of missing paint. :?

anything you do will take time, otherwise you just screw things up :wink:
1993 RS Teal
freakyalien

Post by freakyalien »

Would you remove the pinstripping down the side of the car the same way?
Vroooom
Casey Gardiner

Post by Casey Gardiner »

freakyalien wrote:Would you remove the pinstripping down the side of the car the same way?
Yea. Takes a little longer but it's done the same way.
Casey Gardiner
'93 Mazda MX-3
The Dark Prince

Frankly, i'm kind of hesitant to be standing in front of my house with a damn hairdryer in my hands.. What about my reputation 8) Perhaps i can find a more secluded area to do this ;)

By the way, to get the remains of glue off my car there are lots of substances that dissolve the glue, but isn't it harmfull for the paint?

The Dark Prince
"Power Is All That Matters In This World, Everything Else Is Just An Excuse For The Weak.."
bushidosword

Post by bushidosword »

Look into stuff called GOO B GONE!

You should try a test area to see if it will hurt the paint, but this stuff is awesome!!!
Good luck!!
Last edited by bushidosword on November 9th, 2005, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Mnemonic »

i've used finger nail polish remover and it works great, doesnt mess up the clear coat and eats through the glue, then just follow up with a lil soapy water.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
The Dark Prince

Thanks a lot guys!

I used a hairdryer to remove the decals and it worked like a charm. Took me about half an hour, but it got the job done.. Just need to remove the glue remains and then use carpolish to make my ride bling even more ;) Black is beautifull..

The Dark Prince

Return to “Appearance”