BabyblueMX3 - 92 mx-3 gs

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

BabyblueMX3 - 92 mx-3 gs

Post by babyblueMX3 »

hey guys well people know pretty much know me but for those who don't, here's a little history on my car and the always on-going project I made with it - BTW this is a long read

First I started off in 2000 when I bought the car (GS with 110 000kms)
I didn't had any plans for it at the time, I was 17 and didn't knew much aobut car and stuff. The only ideas I have was mostly esthetics and that's where it begun. At first I wanted only to do car shows, started with a body kit and paint job, rims, suspension etc..

I was frustrated though to have a car that had good looks but didn't had much power in it. I wanted to shut a couple of mouths around here so I made the big step at the time (klze swap) very few people had one but now it's the opposite, very few have the stock engine. I bought it from a friend Darren Hyderman wich was also a member on this board (Spydie for the oldschoolers).

Went like this for a year pulled great, went like 4-5 times at the track best time was 14.554 @ 94 mph not to bad consdering the car had a klze with almost no other modifications. Now I had a little project of a klze turbo on low boost (around 6psi) So I started gathering parts for it and stuff like that.

Then the engine went on me, I was driving the car normally when I miss shift one gear (going from 2 to 3) and well ya engine began running like crap and stuff. once I got home, took the compression tester, 210 on all cylinders except 1 wich had 0 yes 0 so well ya took the cams off and hlas and yes what expected that happened had happened. Broke 2 intake retainers and bent one valve.

That's where TEH MOVE was made. I parked the car earlier this winter (in september) and decided to build the crap out of it so it won't do it again.

I started up with the heads, I bought titanium retainers from czt and went with a set of interprep springs since I got a good deal on those. I put the duratec felpro valve seal in place instead of the stock one because they were 1- a direct fit, 2- cheaper than mazda 3- better design and quality. I had the heads cleaned at my local machine shop.

Then came time with the bottom end. I was desperate to finish this project so I work rediculous hours at work so I can pay for it.
I bought the compelte engine kit that CZT was selling, wich inlcuded, Wiseco 8.7CR forged pistons, wiseco rings, scat rods and clevite rod bearings. and also bought toga HP main bearings and trust washers for IPP. Now I bought another klze from a guy on this board wich was lying around his house because it was ticking and stuff. I got it for cheap. Then another friend of mine gave me his ze bottom for a service I made to him. So I had 2.5 ze engines in my garage for while. I tore all of them apart (mine becausae it was busted, the other because it had major knock, and other one well it was only the bottom end so).
So I took the my machine shop the bottom end that my friend gave me (didn't knew where it came from) so they could start boring it 0.020 over.

One problem happened, there was a tiny crack in one of the cylinder wall that was noticable to the human eye. He noticed it when he was boring it something strange happened at that place and he noticed he was cracked. So I had to scrap this engine and bring them the one I had in my car wich I knew the only problem was with the heads. He bored it and all and put it all together.

That is were another problem occured. My crank dimensions were dead on stock specs so he thought the bearing that came with the kit fitted. Wasn't the case since the rod I am using are mustang rods so the bearings are undersized. The one I needed was half a size and we couldn't get them. What that meaned ? take the engine apart again, grind the crank, and put it all up together. What's the shitty part is ? I had just paied 400$ for having it balanced with the pistons. !
Anyhow we finally got it all together.

The actual fun part began, I had to put this stuff all together

I painted the engine bay before putting that engine in

Then the engine went in:

While all of this was happening I had tons of parts ordered for the turbo set-up (including MMI pipes, turbo, and all those goodies) and I had almost everyday something that came to my door literaly. the ups guy knew my name by heart !!! lol

after I install of this while swearing it ended up like that

Then trouble shooting taged along ;)
I had a major problem leaking like a mofo in the exhaust !!
well to make this a story short I had 6 bad o-rings at the injectors, and the k8 ecu wasn't helping at all !!

so I ran like that for several weeks,

then another friend taged along, electronics :)
I had to install my megasquirt with my msd igintion system. how long did it take to install all of this ? 1 day, how much time till it ran good ? 1 month. because of what ? a freakin shitty connection I made. one suggestion for all those futur MS users out there. SOLDER everything :)

I still could only run 5-6 psi because I didn't had any injectors to support higher boost but I could get used to MS so that ws ok. that's where I got into those nissan injectors, I began modding them and I FINALLY got my rails in by CZT so I could run higher boost :)
the 550cc finally went in and I started to tune this thing a bit and finally made it to 20psi. OMFG that thing was fast. it was only tuned so I could run it not for performance reasons, my WB wasn't located at a good spot and had problem reading it through MS.

A mistake by my part came along. everything was running fine on 20psi, good timing and all. but for some reason I can't remember I dropped the boost a bit to like 15. The thing is with MS you have to run one map for the psi you're running, this map won't work on another psi. so I forgot to chnage the map and was running the timing for highway (higher timing for better fuel consumption) wich was bad and ended up with bad rings becausae of detonation.

this is where I stand right now. car stored, bad rings. I jungled with the idea of selling it but dropped that idea since I would lost too much (over 20k invested)

so this winter I'm chaning the rings, the cams, and couple of other stuff.
I'm adding water injection for octane booster and to reduce intake temps, to prevent detonation.
I jumped into the Colt cams group buy for a set of turbo grind.
I'm changing my t3-t04e 57 trim to a GT35/40R ball bearing turbo :D
changing the pre intercooler piping to 2.5" and turbo back exhaust to full 3" mandrel bent
port and polish on the heads, changing my type s bov for a hks SSQV
This is all in the process of being done right now.
Oh and the interior is GOING BACK TO STOCK, can't stand the white s--- anymore, and the car will be repainted too with other rims

Well I know this was a long read but you know everything about me now.

and I know many of you will say or already ask what times, videos, numbers !!!
I don't got any of them mainly because the car was one week on the road one week in the garage. I had plans for that but didn't do anything this year.
Thouhg this spring first thing is dyno, then track, then videos :)
I'm expecting around 400whp at 20psi maybe more, maybe less (wich I reall doubt)

I'll post pics again as things progress

this is the list of mods so far:Engine:
Block:
Aluminum block bored 0.020" over
8.7 CR Wiseco 4340 forged pistons
Wiseco plasmamoly rings
Wiseco floating wrist pins
Wiseco Spiral-lox
Scat forged I-beam rods (magnaflux and shotpeened)
ARP rod bolts
Polished and balanced forged crankshaft
Clevite 0.050 undersize rod bearings
Toga High-performance main bearings
Toga High Volume oil pump
Entire assembly balanced

Heads:
KLZE heads (soon P&P)
CZT titanium valve retainers
CZT chromoly valve locks
Interprep 195psi valve springs
Stock KLZE valves
Colt cams turbo grind:
INT: 210°@ .050 .355 LIFT
EX: 200° @ .050 .350 LIFT
Duratec performance valve seals
Completely rebuilt heads
Blue powdercoated valve covers

Other:
Polished, knife edged and gutted Millenia intake manifold (bientot nouveau intake MMI)
CZT modded and powdercoated fuel rails
Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator
Unorthodox underdrive pulley
Outlaw engineering phenolic spacers
CZT 67mm throttle body
MBX fuel rail adapter
MSD 8.5mm spark plug wires
NGK BKR7E-11 spark plugs
Custom 2.5" mandrel cat-back (bientot 3")
CATCO hi flow 2.5" cat (bientot testpipe)
Dynomax 2.5" muffler (bientot 3")

TURBO related:

Garrett T3/T04E 57 trim turbo -0.50A/R cold side and 0.83A/R hot side (waiting for my GT35/40R)
Tial 38mm wastegate
Greddy type s blow off valve (soon HKS SSQV)
Bar and plate 28x8x3.5 front mount intercooler
MMI stainless steel turbo manifolds (hot pipes)
custom intercooler piping
-mandrel aluminized steel 2.25" pre intercooler (soon 2.5")
-mandrel aluminized steel 2.5" post intercooler
nissan 550cc injectors
Walbro 255LPH HP fuel pump
Turbonetics manual boost controller
Stainless steel hoses and Earl's fittings for oil feed and drain

DRIVETRAIN:

Stock G25M-R tranny (working on getting lsd in)
Mx-3 17lbs flywheel
ACT Z62-HDSS clutch kit
Corksport stainless steel clutch line
Pacesetter short shifter
Urethane filled engine mounts
SRD engine mounts bushings
SRD shifter extension rod bushings
Upgraded axles

ELECTRONICS & ENGINE MANAGEMENT

Megasquirt & spark stand alone system
Pentium 266 laptop w/ windows 98
AEM UEGO single chanel wideband
MSD 6a ignition box
MSD blaster 2 coil
klze disty
Greddy turbo timer
Autometer Ultralite A/F gauge
Autometer Ultralite 20psi boost gauge
Autometer Ultralite 0-150 Oil pressure gauge
Autometer Ultralite 0-100 Fuel pressure gauge
Optima yellow top battery
PRO 12"dual slimline fans mounted as pushers

HANDLING/SUSPENSION/BRAKES:

17" eagle wheels
205/40-17ZR falken 350's
Suspension techniques springs (1.3 F/R)
ZX2 (tokiko) struts
Rear strut tower bar
Solid endlinks (F/R)
4 wheels crossdrilled rotors
Ceramic Akebono brake pads
Stainless steed braided brake lines
Blue painted calipers

EXTERIOR:

Pakfeifer front bumper
Pakfeifer side skirts
Pakfeifer eyelids
Pakfeifer hood scoop
FX designs rear combat bumper
Z3 fenders
Corksport clear turn signals
Altezzas
Babyblue paint job
All shaved emblems

INTERIOR:

A pillar dual gauge pod
Custom dual gauge pod in center console (to come)
Racing steering wheel
White vibrant shift boot
Whole interior redone in white/babyblue
Indiglo gauges
Brushed aluminium gauge bezel
Custom checkerd plate floor mats
Battery relocation kit
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
JM1EC-V6

Post by JM1EC-V6 »

Always not enough for you steve !

Nice project, sure it's nice to hear this turbo KL !
'94 Mx-3 GS-R SE, KL-ZE Interprep. (From '96 PGT KL)
1110Kg
-Interprep KL31 Spec.
ported heads, Polished combustion chamber,3 angle vlv job,10.3:1 C.R.,0.020'' O.S.,KL31 cam,-0.007'' heads,Long neck IM,KL31 TB, Hotshot headers,2.25'' exhaust,Magnaflow cat
ImageImageImage
StylinMike

Post by StylinMike »

Looking awesome man.
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

excellent work!!!
I cant wait to hear the 3" exhaust, she's gonna sound dirty 8)

oh and why are you changing the colour?!?
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE

Post by Guest »

because I'm tired of it
want to change for something like pearl white
but I'm really leaning towards bmw m3 blue with 17" black rims deep dish :twisted:
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

[quote="Anonymous"
but I'm really leaning towards bmw m3 blue with 17" black rims deep dish :twisted:[/quote]
Yeah that would look sweeet. Nice project you got there.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

my VC just finshed beeing powdercoated :)

[img]
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

^^^ they look good....is that the colour your thinking about painting your car?
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE

Post by Guest »

close
I am thinking that :
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

with those in 4x100

btw, since when we can post without logging ?
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Gonna look sweet.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
wazza

Post by wazza »

MX-3 + that blue + those rims = 1 sexy beast
Throw the turbo ze in there as well, AWESOME!!
Can't wait to see pics of the finished product.
A man's got to know his limitations
93_4Banger

Post by 93_4Banger »

wow thats gunna be so wicked. whens all of this going to be completed???
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

paintjob and rims ?
depending how much I get for tax return. :D
should be this summer coming
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

well I guess I should add this here

Last fall I had a probleme with my compression. I thought I had bad rings since I made a mistake by dropping the boost and didn'T change the timing map in Megasquirt.

Took the heads off a couple of days ago to change the rings, to my surprise the rings were good, the pistons weren't as lucky :

So I automatically called a friend who had a bad klze for sale (damage head) and he sold it to me for very cheap.

So for the next months I'll be running my built heads with a stock ze block on 10:1 compression using water injection.
I'm expecting a good 300whp on this set-up

I'll put the "built" block aside until I can afford some pistons again.

on another note the same day I got my colt cams :)
can't wait to install them ! specs are :
Colt cams turbo regrind
INT: 210°@ .050 .355 LIFT
EX: 200° @ .050 .350 LIFT

I also sold my greddy type S bov to get a HKS SSQV bov wich I just purchased. I also sold my aem wideband to get another one brand new WITH a gauge. the old didn't had one.

So this is it for now, I have to tear the engine down again and get it back up for spring :)
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”