BPT swap into SOHC 1.6

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
mx3chemist

BPT swap into SOHC 1.6

Post by mx3chemist »

I have read a lot of information on this subject and yet I still have some questions before getting started. It seems like a pretty straight-forward swap with a few exceptions, but definately one that an experienced mechanic could pull off, resulting in a powerful car that still has most if not all of it's factory OEM functions. Yay!!! So here's what I know so far:

1) I can use the original 5-speed tranny as long as I don't shatter it by dumping the clutch all the time.
2) The BPT will bolt in without too much fuss.
3) I need to upgrade the fuel pump, use the BTP ECU, upgrade to an after market front fascia that can house a nice-sized intercooler, fashion an appropriate inter-cooler and exhaust set-up, and mount air/fuel, boost, and oil pressure gauges, ect.

Most of the rest of the swap looks pretty generic, but I still have a couple of questions:

1) Do I need to install the BPT wiring harness or will the SOHC 1.6 harness mate-up to the new hardware?
2) If so, do I need to account for anything other than the VICS wiring?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mx3chemist
1993 mx3 SOHC 1.6L
jay@silenteve.com
http://www.silenteve.com
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

I would not use the stock F-series tranny with the BPT.

If you are going to more than double your horsepower over the SOHC- I would STRONGLY suggest that you upgrade to the G-series tranny from the Protege LX.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

ya, pretty much you can never dump the clutch with the F-series tranny. First time you do is the last time you can use that tranny :). Save yourself the time and do it the right way.

The 1.6L harness will work for the majority of the connections. The TPS for the SOHC is a 3 wire and the BPT is a 4 wire. And I wasn't aware that the GTX did have vics....
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

http://www.atlantamx3.com/mocaforum/vie ... 7d155e53a1

also go there. That guy has written up a very good guide.
mx3chemist

Post by mx3chemist »

Thanks guys. I appreciate the tips. I didn't realize that this particular tranny can't even withstand the normal pull that you get at rolling speed with the BTP. I know a guy in Atlanta that says he runs this set-up and he doesn't have any problems because he just dusts people on the interstate at rolling speed. I know that when I tune it up a bit to probably 300hp, then the tranny would just say "peace-out" and dump itself in pieces on the highway!!!
mx3chemist

Post by mx3chemist »

OOPS, I meant to say BPT, hehehe. Anyways, I guess my main question at this point is will the SOHC 1.6 wiring harness work for the BPT and it's accompanying ECU, or do I have to go through the headache of installing the BPT wiring harness? I know I have to wire-in the VICS system, but that's not a big deal. Either way, it will be done. I work at Honda Manufacturing Of Alabama, so I know how and when the harness is put in at the factory. I just need to have a comprehensive view of the swap before I barter with my mechanic on the price. BTW, I agree that Hondas don't have anywhere near the torque that we're used to. Driving an RX-7 for a couple of years can spoil you on n/a torque! :D
mx3chemist

Post by mx3chemist »

Wow BUGS. I guess I was net-surfing so fast that I didn't read your whole response. I apologize for that. Thank you very much. So the Throttle Position Sensor plug is different, eh? As far as I know, the BPT does have VICS but I have been known to be wrong. Thanks for the dope, dude! :D

mx3chemist
1993 mx3 SOHC 1.6L
jay@silenteve.com
http://www.silenteve.com
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

mx3chemist wrote: I know a guy in Atlanta that says he runs this set-up and he doesn't have any problems because he just dusts people on the interstate at rolling speed.

Who?

We know almost all the Mx-ers here in Atlanta.

And the BPT does not have VICS-- it has boost! :wink:

The SOHC B6 wiring harness should plug up- but I think you'll need to add a knock sensor.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
mx3chemist

Post by mx3chemist »

Ahhhhhhhhhh.......okay. I see said the blind man.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

The TPS wiring will be different. You won't be able to hook up the knock sensor because the Mx-3 did not have the wiring for it. VICS was not available on the 92-93 models so you don't have to worry about that.

The BP-T does have 320cc injectors and your Mx has smaller 220cc(close enough) injectors. You may want to consider ditching the factory ecu and wiring all together or getting a fuel controller on top of a BP10 ecu.
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Youll need mounts and for gods sakes get a good clutch..
Stock fuel pump is fine.. Stock front bumper is fine..

What about engine management? What are you going to use?
If you decide to switch to the gtx ecu I have the specs on how to make the mx3 harness work with that ecu if you want it since thats what Im doing now.
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.

Return to “Forced Induction”