New/ used Tranny Prob

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
shawno

New/ used Tranny Prob

Post by shawno »

Hey i blew out my tranny about a week ago and i got a new tranny out of a 93 se model. I have it but theres a problem. it does want to stay in gear, the new tranny didnt have the bolt in it for the stabilzer bar for the shifter. I was wondering if with out that stabizer bar it wont stay in gear.

Like i can move the car if I hold the shifter in the gear but I have to hold it hard. and then it slips out of gear and just grinds.

Any ideas other then the stabizer bar
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

you should be able to remove the stud off your old tranny and then there will be a slot for it on the new one, you definately want to use it, i dont know if that is the problem but my guess would be yes, you can get the old stud out by locking a pair of vice grips on it and loosening it like a regular bolt.
ProspectMx3

Post by ProspectMx3 »

i'm going to stop by tommorow morning and take a look, and see if I can help you out.
Stock Sucks
Race Cars!!!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

easier way to get the stud out: put two nuts on the threaded end of the stud and use a open end wrench to turn the first one you put on. The first one will turn a bit untill it bumps in the second one you put on and then it will turn the stud and viola! One stud off. Put it on the same way in the other trans, but turn the second nut and it will run into the first one and tighten stud into the trans. When finished you'll need two open end wrenches or a open end and a socket ot turn both nuts at the same time. Turn the inside nut to tighten and the outside to loosen, they break apart from eachother and then you should be able to just twist both nuts off with your hands.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”