MTX to ATX

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Insanebabe123

MTX to ATX

Post by Insanebabe123 »

I know that this is backwards but, My daughter Lee and I have spent quite some time rebuilding her $100.00 95 MX-3 RS and now that she has her permit is scared to drive on the road because there is to much to remember. We did fine through the neighborhood and at the park - but add other traffic and she gets confused. Can the manual transmission be swapped for an automatic and if so what is required & what about cost? The car is solid after all the work we put into it and only has 78k original miles. It is very very young.

Thanks for all your advice.

Doug - Lee's Dad
Lee {Insanebabe123} :twisted:

'95 MX-3 RS Black on Black on Black
First car and First project
Hoping to have it complete by the time I get my License
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Wow.

Sounds like she may need more time behind the wheel. It would REALLY be way too much work to convert it to an auto.

People are going to think I am crazy for saying that since I converted from an auto to a manual.

However, there are systems on the auto that arent needed on the manual- so swapping to a manual is rather easy. Going to an auto you have to add lots of electrial stuff and radiator and I am not kidding literally everything.

If she is uncomfortable with the manual tranny- it would be better to sell the car and buy her a new one. I know thats not the news you wanted to hear- but you invested $100 and you can sell it for lots more now.

I would suggest that she just drive more and get accustomed to the manual and to driving in the real world. It will be a challenge- but thats what growing up and being responsible is about.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Insanebabe123

Post by Insanebabe123 »

Thanks Perry - That is what I thought. We have about $1500.00 invested. She bought it for $100.00 and between here, Ebay, our local salvage yard and auto parts stores we have it in excellent condition.

More practice behind the wheel is not an option. She flat out refuses as she is affraid of causing an accident. The other problem is all our cars are manual so - I guess it will be up for sale and then the hunt for new wheels will be in play

Doug
Lee {Insanebabe123} :twisted:

'95 MX-3 RS Black on Black on Black
First car and First project
Hoping to have it complete by the time I get my License
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Yeah Doug I hate to hear that.

Maybe you can find someone on the board with an Auto who wants to trade for a manual.

If your car is in good shape-- you should be able to get somewhere close to $3000-$3500 for it due to the low miles.. maybe more.

Just a waring though- the Auto trannies in the MX are total crap and need to have an auxillary transmission oil cooler added.

Good luck!
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
deathman

Post by deathman »

if i was in the states i would be happy to do the swap with you but i am in germany :( . hell i would drive to your house & help you change everything over, just to get everything in needed :P
MX3driver
BANNED Member

Post by MX3driver »

Hi there doug,
I've got a 95' Auto tranny, it's got 160,000km's on it, and it was dealer maintained. I've never used it once, then engine that I bought had an auto on it, and it is getting the manual off my old engine put on it, so if your intrested in the tranny, I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia. you can reach me at;
the_green_jacket@hotmail.com
more than happy to help, and it's of no use to me so I don't mind getting rid of it cheap!
thanks, hope to hear from you,
Craig
Ive been banned for moronic childish behavior.
Mx3Baker

Post by Mx3Baker »

if you did convert it to an auto i would like to have all the mtx parts ;)
93 Mx-3 GS
5 SPD Conversion

Worklog at
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=54796" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

How many times have you guys practiced driving with her?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Any update on this? Did she get better with the manual?
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S

Return to “Transmissions”