CAT gone bad?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

CAT gone bad?

Post by Bumpysbro »

i keep getting this kick back when im driving but it only seems to happens after i drive for a while like its not heated up to a certain temp then my car starts to kick back at me, ive been experiencing alot of power loss, mileage very bad like a full tank and i drove 160 miles and its on empty already. would this be a cause of a cat going bad? its still the stock one and its 100k 95 rs.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

I dont know what a kickback is - but my car backfired a lot when the timing was off - i screwed up the timing when trying to change the distributor o-ring.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

well its like ur driving then it pulls u forward trying to make up for the loss power and then kicks u back down. it sounds like a clogged cat but not sure
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

i was driving my ATX with the "Hold" button on once and i think it was a similar experience - I was so scared that i blew my transmission - but it turned out that i had pushed the hold button accidentally.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

haha naw mine if rev the engine u get vibrations from the exhaust, and ive been lookin around that performance and mileage and acceleration are affected by a bad exhaust system or a clogged cat...thnx
jimishadow

Post by jimishadow »

put your hand by the pipe in the bac w32hile someone revs it up ,,,if its clogged youll know
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ya just did that and i bet its clogged, just sputters and shakes the whole thing...should i replace my whole exhaust since its 10years old still stock and looks rusted and the muffler is beat up?
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

yea you probably should. just take it to a local shop and get it done...it's cheaper and better.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

alright will do, thnx for the help :) hope it works Happy Halloween
Mazda_Power

Post by Mazda_Power »

Two things you can do.

Cheap= Take off the cat and run it and see what it feels like.

Expensive= Get an infared heat monitor and test before and after the cat to see if it's working. It should be much hotter after the cat (directly).
'92 Festiva L powered by a 1.8L SOHC Protege motor - For Sale
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

well the cars in the shop right now getting a oil change and their test driving it to see what the problem is..when i know ill update u guys on what i got :) thnx

Mazda_Power...what else could u use that heat monitor for? i mean if its expensive id buy one if it was used for other things
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

well got the car back and they said they couldnt find anything wrong with it. very strange...hmm i dunno what could be wrong with it, did it this morning and now they say nothing is wrong with it. this makes me angry, any ideas guys?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”