Did my car just die?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
jaxsmax6

Did my car just die?

Post by jaxsmax6 »

So... Im driving home from school..lotsa traffic..rainy day.. just got a parking ticket.. so far not a great day. Now normaly when im breaking and stopping alot my car gets kinda shaky. Almost like its about to stall- but never does..until today. SO i'm right outside my house (thankfully)..and i slow down to park in my spot ..and the car craps out on me!! Im in drive..and the car just stalls!! The "check engine" light and "battery" light come on (no hold light)..and from what ive read those are not good signs. I had to start my car 2 times before i could get it to move agian..but when i finialy did it made a HUGE clunking noise.

Why me? Why my mx3? i just got the timing belt replaced... i was taking such good care of him..ive only had it for 2 months!! Please, please, puhleeze help me you guys. Do you think its my tranny... what should i do?
jaxsmax6

Post by jaxsmax6 »

i just went and inspected my fuilds and stuff.. basicaly to see if anything smelt like burning-it doesn't. My tranny fuild is still rubby red- the oil level is right.. but i did notice that my coolant box thing- the whitish one-on the very bottom right hand side is empty. Maybe that had something to do with it?? what should i fill it with??
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

I noticed that you said on another post you had your timing belt replaced - that will be the first place i would look.

And when you say right side do you mean the driver side or passenger side? I think in North American cars the driver side box is the coolant overflow reservoir and the passenger side thingy is the windshield washer fluid reservoir.

I refill the coolant box with prestone 50/50 antifreeze coolant fluid - but i guess there are many other better brands/options out there.

If the coolant was low - Did your car overheat - i mean did the temp gauge needle go above the midline. If yes then i think it could only mean that its time for an engine swap!
jaxsmax6

Post by jaxsmax6 »

Im talking about the the drivers side. The needle on the temp gauge is always sitting above the midpoint.. i thought that was normal. Atleast i was told it was. If i were to check the timing belt.. where would i look specificly and at what?
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Well, for the temparature gauge - a little above midpoint is ok - way above the midpoint like at the three quarter point or more (for a long time) means you have presented your engine as a burnt offering to the car gods...

If thats not the case - then it may not be a problem with the coolant - i would however fill it up as soon as possible. I would also keep an eye on it - just to see if there is a coolant leak somewhere...

I have never touched the timing belt - but as far as i know its not easy to install - it might be easy to just take the belt cover off and visually inspect it. There are some procedures in the online manual - Pages B1-012 and B1-065 for 4 cyl or B2-013 and B2-085 for 6 cyl. IMO It would be best to take it back to the shop that installed it in the first place - you might even be able get them to do it for free if that's what is wrong.
jaxsmax6

Post by jaxsmax6 »

well...as for 3 quarters of the way- that is where it sits... full time. Today was the first problem ive ever had with my car.. and i dont smell 'burnt'...the car still runs-so far.. does a car still run if the engine is burnt??
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

I dont think 3/4 point for the temp gauge is normal - because in my 4cyl it never goes slightly more than midpoint. I recently had a coolant leak and my car overheated and that's when it went to the 3/4 point - but thankfully the coolant spilled on the engine and started smoking and so i noticed the overheating and turned off the engine immediately. I am hoping i didnt do any permanent damage in the 2 minutes of overheating i had. I think the engine will still run and continue to run till the heat permanentlly warps the engine components to a point where they cant move anymore. There will be gradual loss of power when this happens i think. All this is based on my guessing - so i might be wrong on this - maybe some of the experts in the board have a different opinion....
jaxsmax6

Post by jaxsmax6 »

okay okay okay... i was looking at my gauge today..and i think im getting alittle ahead of myself. It always sitting at a little above mid point. Looks like this:

H-
-I dont know what this line is called- but its marked on gauge

- <-- Its right here
-Midpoint

C-

Is that normal??
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Its important to keep in mind the temp gauge is more of an "indicator" than a true gauge - hence no degrees marked on it. Each car may be slightly different. Whats important is to react to ANY upward change of the needle position immediately. If it gets into the red its generally too late so make sure you always keep a close eye on it.

By the sound of it your needle position hasn't changed so I doubt very much your problem is temperature related.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Yes i would say the midpoint looks about right - because thats what i see in my car - if the needle always stays around that midpoint and does not show any upward movement as grant said - your problem may not be due to overheating.... Since the hold light is not flashing and the emgine has trouble starting - you can almost rule out transmission i think. The safest bet might be to discuss it with the mechanic who did the timing belt - even if it turns out that timing belt is ok - atleast you will know what's wrong.....
papadeez15

Post by papadeez15 »

could be the alternator
my car died out and just the battery light came out
but it stalled just like urs and only when i stoped...
i chenged the alternator, recharged my battery and it wa sok
Peter
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Yup, certainly sounds more like an electrical problem to me, alternator, distributor, bad grounding....., certainly take it back to whoever changed the timing belt and get them to have a look

The clunk probably wasn't anything major...., was the car on a slope at the time? the tranny will do that when it gets put in D on a sloping surface
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
Princess*Precidia

Post by Princess*Precidia »

My car does the exact same thing, had the timing belt replaced and everything...as well as my fan belt..which now makes a hardcore screeching noise whenever i turn it on for a while..or if its raining outside...plus my tranny leaks so that must be why...

anyhow..my car has stalled on me once...and hasnt before..my oil light flickers whenever i stop but it doesnt stall...just shakes...
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

its the alternator....
Princess*Precidia

Post by Princess*Precidia »

thought so...
thats what everyone keeps saying...

:oops:

Return to “Transmissions”