Bit slow from standing

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
timster

Bit slow from standing

Post by timster »

Hi, i live in the U.K and have just bought a 96 MX3 automatic. I don't know too much about cars so i thought someone might be able to help me with a problem i have with it.
It runs fine about 80% of the time, but every so often when i'm standing still and go to pull away it doesn't move for about a second or 2 and then it will pull away, i would say it kind of shudders when you pull away. It will do this for the whole journey every time i pull away from a junction. But then for about the next 5 or 6 days it will pull away and accelerate fine all the time. I'm thinking it has something to do with the transmission but i'm not certain, or is it an easy to fix problem? can anyone help? Cheers, Tim
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Sounds like it's starting in 2nd or 3rd...., not a good sign!
as usual, check your ATF level, and check it's still a reddish colour and doesn't smell burnt....., is the 'hold' light on the dash flashing?
when this is happening, are you able to manually start off in 1st?
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
timster

Post by timster »

No the hold light isn't flashing. I'll check the fluid today. I think you're right it's probably starting in a higher gear. Do you think the problem can be fixed?
timster

Post by timster »

It actually did it today when i was coming back from work and i'm pretty sure when it goes it's starting in first because it accelerates quite quickly. Is there anything else it could be. It's almost like when you put your foot down nothing happens at all for a second, no revs or anything and then all of a sudden the car will go, but i'm pretty sure it goes of in first gear. I'll have to take it to a garage. I just thouhgt i'd ask on here in case it was a common problem with the MX3.

I also checked the transmission fluid and it seems o.k.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Does it idle good? If not it could be a crack in the air intake hose. Its a good idea to check the hose very carefully anyway... Bend the hose slightly and look for cracks or holes in the accordion like area of the hose.

If that's not the problem you could check the sparkplugs and distributor and ofcourse plug wires.

If they all turn out ok then i guess you could change the fuel filter - mine was blocked up badly - it was letting in only small amount of fuel which is great for constant running - but it couldnt supply fuel fast enough for sudden accelerations...
timster

Post by timster »

Thanks for your reply, i'll get all those things checked out. It's funny you should say about the fuel filter because it seems to do it more when the fueltank gets to about 1/4 full. Cheers, i'll let you know if any off the things you suggested fix it.

Return to “Transmissions”