My MX3 cuts out ??? Help please

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
metalhorse1200

My MX3 cuts out ??? Help please

Post by metalhorse1200 »

I have a 1.8 v6 1992 mx3 and all was running ok untill recently when on the odd accasion if gearbox put into neutral the engine revs very low,a little bit erratic to be exact and occasionally cuts out,also when driving at slow speeds in traffic it seem a little bit jumpy and not smoothe.

today i replaced the plugs and checked air filter,distributor cap,wiring etc etc.I did find a split in the hose between the airbox and the inlet manifold which i sealed up and made air tight but alas my Mx 3 still seems the same,any bods out there got any ideas of what this might be.

Just to add i used to have mr2 and the owners forum was bloody brill and they saved me lots of money wuth there answers,so come on MX 3 owners lets see if you can be as good or better than the MR2 owners forum.
Regards Mark
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

could be a vacuum leak some place. since you had a crack in the intake hose i would check the accordian looking piece right before the intake manifold. that piece usually cracks. i would take it off and thoroughly inspect it.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

I would replace that cracked piping, even though you have sealed it

When I got my MX-3 it was in the same state, and didn't run too well at low revs and generally bounced along the road if I was off the throttle in 1st crawling along

it was terrible in general, around town.. fixed that and its much better
1997, Silver, V6
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Mark, first welcome to MX-3.com. Second, and I'm sure you're fully aware of the FAQ's as well as the search function. Since your not a noob to car BB's then perhaps after you've done a search you could be a little more specific and detailed with your queries. Third, this is a question that should have been posted in the V6 forum and I'm sure that one of the mods will transfer it over. Fourth, you've mentioned checking a number of things but didn't really elaborate as to there condition. Things to consider;
Check for any CEL codes
Check all vaccum lines
Clean/replace air filter
Change plugs
Clean contacts in disty and disty rotor
Confirm calibration of TPS
Confirm status of O2 sensors
Confirm condition of plug wires
These are some of the simpler basic items that anyone can perform. Once you've gone through these and the problem still persists you'll have a better query to pose at that time. Hope this helps.
*John*
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
metalhorse1200

Post by metalhorse1200 »

Thanks for the replies so far chaps,well the car was a lot better today after the high temp sealent cured and the accordian type hose to the inlet stub had no further cracks.

John ?? whats the CEL code and how do i find it?
and to confirm calibration of TPS ? and also is it easy to confirm status of O2 sensor?

Plug wires are good,new plugs fitted,contacts in dist cap cleaned and good and all other vacum hoses seem good.

I guess all i can do for now is keep my fingers crossed and hope this has sorted the problem.
Regards Mark
snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

Also could I add, where is the CEL light?

what am I looking for on the dashboard when this is supposed to be on?

:edit:

I just went to ignition, without jumpering my TEN and GND and I get no 'immobiliser' light on, so I guess this is the CEL ?
1997, Silver, V6
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

sounds like a vaccuum leak...check all the hoses & ur rubber intake hose/elbow thing for cracks or tears.

if you locate it...fix it and then reset the ECU..car should run well again
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

When I got first got my GS running, the disty was going out. I bet it's that.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”