E-brake and DRLs

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

E-brake and DRLs

Post by FiReSTaRT »

My e-brake handle just doesn't want to stay down. Whenever I hit a bump (and there are lots of them in Toronto) it goes up just enough to activate the e-brake light and turn off the DRLs. That's probably hard on the bulbs and the other motorists must be wondering wtf I'm doing, so I was wondering if you guys know what I can do to keep the e-brake handle down until i need to engage it.
Carthago Delenda Est
snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

I dont know how the handbrake pivots or goes up and down,

but to me it simply sounds like it needs tightening somewhere, so it doesn't move as freely.
1997, Silver, V6
FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

Post by FiReSTaRT »

I'll take a look at it during today's cooling system flush, since I'll be working on the car anyways.
Carthago Delenda Est
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Check out the online manual pages P-45 -- P-47, esp P-46. Sounds like the return spring is the issue. Your cable may need adjusting and/or lubrication as well as the return spring or, the return spring may have come loose on one end or be missing & need replacement. http://mx-3.com/95manual
Image -Jim
FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

Post by FiReSTaRT »

Thanks.. I'll look into it in a bit. I just gave the mx a cooling sys flush and finishing the same on the golf. I also installed a CD deck into the golf, to welcome my mom into the 20th (twentieth) century :P
Carthago Delenda Est
FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

Post by FiReSTaRT »

It's been a while, but I finally got around to taking care of the issue. After tightening the adjustment screw and taking the Mazda through some punishing stretches of Evans and the surrounding streets without the handle jumping enough to engage the e-brake light. The spring is still pretty bad, but as long as it's not giving me any trouble, I don't feel the need to replace it or find an alternative solution (like spacing it out).
Carthago Delenda Est
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

If you have drum brakes in the back its that something has seized on your brakes. I had the same trouble with my handle a while ago. Its a problem that occurs with the mx3. Its the second time I have had to do it. What happens is that the rear seizes up and the e brake handle can't go down fully because of it. I will look into the specific part that had seized on mine and post up tomorrow sometime. If you don't release the seized part you will be going through rear breaks like underwear.
Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.
FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

Post by FiReSTaRT »

The rear brakes are fine. Checked'em at safety 8 months back and I looked at'em about a week ago, fine again. Never had any braking issues, but the spring itself doesn't look too good. However, if this is a common problem, the other mxers and I'd appreciate any info on it, in case it does happen.
Carthago Delenda Est
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

by the handle, there's a bolt you can use to tighten the cable. You shouldn't even need to take the console apart, you can see it though the hole. Mine's been loose like that since i replaced the cable when i snapped 2 years ago, i just need to tighten it, but I havent been in a rush to, i only notice it when i drag race, the wheelhop make the handle jump up and make the e-brake light flash
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”