Four wheel drive conversion

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Four wheel drive conversion

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

Hey, i'm currently working on a 93' V6 MX-3 Limited Special Edition and i'm looking into converting it from front wheel drive to four wheel drive for increased traction and I would appreciate any information on the subject. Also keep in mind that this car will eventually have a T28RS turbo and a 375hp boost nitrous system so I want to make sure that I get parts that can handle the torque. :twisted: O ya, also is it possibly to put a six speed transmission in this car along with the four wheel drive conversion? If so I would appreciate info on that.

Thanks,
Forrest
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You are 17, I doubt that you could afford all the parts necessary to do all that nor do all the work yourself. Don't get upset, I just have never seen a 17yr old that was that good of a mechanic or that made that much money.
There is a guy here who has a all wheel drive Protoge drivetrain on his RS, but it was not a bolt on job. There was from what he said alot of rigging to get it to fit properly. Also have no idea what that drivetrain can handle, but i doubt it is anywhere near 400hp +-. Then you have the issue that you have a GS not a RS and thus his set-up wouldn't even fit your engine. I would say that even a reliable front wheel drive drivetrain for 400hp is going to be hard to find parts for and be VERY expensive. Quaife makes some gears for the G series tranny that could handle it (2000), also the quaife diff to replace the stock one (1500), But then the casing is going to need some serious help ($?). Custom axles should be easy to get, but they are expensive (3-400 each). Then you'll need very built motor and for the GS that is going to be pricey (10,000 completed) and the turbo (1500) intercooler, piping and what (1000+) from the new set-up being helped along by BabyBlue and then engine management (1500) and you still haven't included alot of other small stuff. You are looking at about $20,000 right there.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

you got too big of a dream lol, start with klze swap and see where you wanna go from there. want big power, get big block car :lol:
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
MAZDASPEEDMX-3

Post by MAZDASPEEDMX-3 »

i agree with patdiesel like dude seriously if u really want an awd 400+ hp car then i would say go for a dif car just because not only the money aspect but how much intense labor it would involve
2002 Subaru WRX In the process of new motor build.
1989 Honda CRX Daily driven Beater. 50MPG!!
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

I know I sound insane and all but I should have the money for it some time in the latter half of 2006 and I know several mechanics that could help me out with it (a few of which build race cars). The reason I'm researching it now is because I figured that it would take a while to find the parts needed for the drive-train conversion. You would be right about the money thing except that I'm homeschooled and I dual-enroll at a community college and since i'm going to have my associate's degree in December my parents don't make me do any other school work (I really exceeded high school requirements a long time ago by taking courses such as Calculus with Analytical Geometry III). So basically I can work 80 or whatever hours a week and after December I can get a job in low level management and I can rake in some dough. So I am capable of possibly doing this (Although most 17 year olds aren't) and am currently gathering information on it. Sorry for not mentioning the special circumstances.

Call me a dreamer because I am one. It's just that I make my dreams come true. :D :twisted:
MAZDASPEEDMX-3

Post by MAZDASPEEDMX-3 »

dude power to ya i wish i had the resorces to do something like that but i just dont have the experience either the most ive done is a couple engine swaps and plan on instaling my turbo kit
but yea best of luck to u with your project im sure theres a couple ppl on this forum that will be able to help u along with your project and i know theres also one guy on here that sesessfully made an awd mx-3 and im sure he would be willing to share some secrets
2002 Subaru WRX In the process of new motor build.
1989 Honda CRX Daily driven Beater. 50MPG!!
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

When I accomplish these modifications I'll post a video of what happens when I wager $1000 against a friend of mine that said "Lol you smoke me?!?!?! Lol you are dilusional, by the time you get your car running fast my car will be much faster than it is : P I'm no where hear done haha". He dosen't graduate until he's 19 in 2007 :lol: and he's running an Eclipse (not sure what year, late 90's?) with a T3/T4 hybrid turbo and several thousand dollars worth of other mods and he's planning to do a four wheel drive job on his car that he thinks will make his car beat mine.
He gets 10mpg because he has his turbo set so that it turns on if he hits the gas at all.
Right now I think he said he can do a run in the 10's and he thinks that he might get it in the 9's with the four wheel drive conversion. Supposedly he knows someone that did a 7.9 (I'll have to see what he's running).
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

well im 17 as well and i have a big dream that im currently workin on buildin a all out race car but street legal and so far its happening slowly. i dunno about ur dream cuz thats a hell of alot of work i mean ALOT and alot of money. im out of school and workin full time and i couldnt get near the money that would involve. but that would be kool if u pull through with this and best of luck to u if u attempt it just dont ruin the car from doin somethin wrong on it :)
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Ya, I still live with my parents and don't have an overhead and since I'm just workin my butt off, I should be able to pull this off. If I do pull it off I'll let everyone know about it :lol: . O and I'll try not to ruin it. LOL that would suck so bad spending over $20,000 on modifying a car and then destroying it :evil: .
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

ok no offence id hafta call bs on that eclipse sorry but hes wasting all his farking money on doing an awd conversion when he can go trade his in and buy and awd and itd be done its notthat hard and i HIGHLY doubt ull get a drivetrain to fit your engine no offence but i think all your dreams are going to become shattered at one point and well yah i still cant get over that the eclipse is running 10s with a turbo up grade and other mods..... my buddy has a 98 eclipse with a t5 turbo and about 3k in other mods and he can run 11's so i highly dount hed run 10s
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Ok, well enough "you can't do it talk". We'll let you prove any nay sayers wrong later.
What you'll need is to find a way to get a AWD tranny to bolt up to the V-6 G series tranny. I know that the later Protoges use a 4 banger verion of the G series, but you need to find out the name of both the BPT tranny (which is all wheel drive) and the early Protoge AWD tranny. If either are a G series you may be in luck. If one is then you might be able to take the bellhousing off your V-6 tranny and put it on one of the 4 banger AWD units and then bolt it to the built V-6. Then you'll need custom mounts for the tranny b/c I know that it will not fit with any of the stock mounts. This will be the hardest and most likely to not work out part of the V-6 AWD. Second is to make sure to get stronger gears and have the tranny case either spider welded or cryo-treated.
Next is to the motor built and turbo piped up.
Then work on getting the rear end (entire rear sub-frame) from either a Jap Spec 323 or a American all-wheel-drive Protoge. Either will be a bit of work to fit, but either should work. The 323 one would be better I assume since they came with much more power than the Protoge and thus should be stronger stock.
Next, axles and drive shaft. Finally, engine management and other final parts.

That should be enough to keep you for busy for a year or two.
Good luck.

PS, for an importer of J-Spec stuff contact J-Dog5678, I think, or just Jdog on http://www.atlantamx3.com/mocaforum He knows a guy that can maybe help for the 323 rear subframe.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

I think that he has spent over $7000 on modifying his Eclipse although I haven't actually seen him run a 10 first hand.
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Thanks for the info PATDIESEL. It is much appreciated. I'll take any information available on this topic if anyone has any.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

$20k sounds waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much

It is possible to do something like this for $10k though
That sure is alot of time and money though

What I would like to see is a GSX Eclipse tranny mounted to a V6 MX3. If its possible. Those things can sure handle alot of power aswell as the front and rear axels.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Mixing brands is going to be near impossible. He'd deffinately need a custom mounting plate adaptor for the tranny. The driveline tunnel is not going to match up to the trans most likely etc etc.

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”