Please help, possible fuel injector problem, car stalling

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Kitten81

Please help, possible fuel injector problem, car stalling

Post by Kitten81 »

Greetings, new member here.

Well, about a month ago, my car started to run a little rough. Especially when I am stopped at a red light, it would idle normally for about 3 seconds, then start idling way low, to the point where I thought I was going to stall. Once the light turned green, and I went to accelerate, it would somewhat studder, then proceed normally.

Well, at first I thought it was a dirty air filter, so I went out and bought a new FRAM air filter, and switched it.

Thing is now, it's even worse. It runs rough at idle all the time, and when I stop at a red light, I have to put it in neutral, so it doesn't stall.

I called my uncle, who is somewhat car-savvy, and he thinks that my fuel injectors may be dirty. Which would kinda make sense.

Dirty air filter, it ran a little rough, not getting all the air it needed. Now with a new filter, and getting lots of air, too much for the fuel/air mixture, and it wants to stall.

Does this make sense?

Has anyone had this problem?

Suggestions or answers, please and thank you

Kitten81
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Yah, happened to my 90 MX-6 once. You are right in considering that too much air is getting into the intake stream. Especially unmetered air and here is the likely reason. Closely inspect your large ribbed air intake hose for any hairline cracks that mighta developed between the ribs. Especially the underside. Remove it to inspect if needed. Your symptoms sound like unmetered air could be leaking in thru a crack(s) and ya mighta made the crack(s) larger if the hose got bent and flexed when replacing the air filter. Happens on older intake hoses.

If found, any cracks can be temp repaired with a tight wrap of duct tape until the hose gets replaced.

Oh, and welcome to the board. :D
Last edited by neutral on October 4th, 2005, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image -Jim
Kitten81

Post by Kitten81 »

going out now to take a loot at it
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I got the injectos if u need em.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Kitten81

Post by Kitten81 »

Well, I did find a crack in that cheap flex hose. Sealed it with some electrical tape for now, going to head to the wreckers saturday morning, and see if I can get a new one.

I took it for a boot, and you wouldn't even know there was a problem to begin with.

Thank you all for the very quick response, and great help.

hgallegos915: Thank you very much for the offer, but everythings seems to be fine now.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I've never ONCE heard of bad injectors in the K series. It's probably a vacuum leak.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”