Shift Linkage Help (Manual Trans)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
AshesofPepper

Shift Linkage Help (Manual Trans)

Post by AshesofPepper »

Does anyone know where to find a new shifter linkage rod? I'm not sure if thats what you call it but if you've done work on your shifter on your manual tranny you should know what i'm talking of.

Anyways, the bushings on mine are completely gone making the shifter very loose in gear and out of gear. I've made some temporary bushings out of gromits that i fitted in but i need a permanent solution. I've tried Napa and Checkers auto parts stores already and i was told they have nothing for manual transaxles and only the seals for automatic ones.

I'm not sure of the trans model but it's attached to a 1.8L K8 in a 1992 GS

Thanks for listening
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

If you think it's the bushings then get some from Mazda or do a search in here for SRD bushings http://www.srdperformance.com/ wrt a group buy last spring. Try using the search function a bit.
*John*
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

If it's just bushings you need, http://srdperformance.com/ has em for the extension rod and the shifter. Doesn't sound like you need the rod to be replaced.
Image -Jim
AshesofPepper

Post by AshesofPepper »

Thanks for the links you two.

And yes i will start using the search fucntion :)
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Maybe too late now.. but I think he's talking about different bushings. On the shifter "extension bar" (square plate under the shift know, that has a bar welded to its base connecting to the tranny through the "extension rob bushing") there are two built-in mounts on either side of the shifter assembly holding it in place. (you can see them if you remove the trim, shift knob, boot and that rubber gasket at the base of the shifter (all this from inside the car)
I installed an SRD shifter extension rob bushing (the blue one that goes up front by the tranny) a few months back (recommended - shifter feels more solid and definitely synchs hard 1-2 shifts better) but I guess it was too much extra stress on those OE bushings a the base of the shifter because one of them broke on me last week, making the shifter feel very very "mushy" I originally though that the nut had fallen off the shifter linkage "T" under the shifter (where the SRD bushings are located that you guys are talking about) causing the T to be barely handing on one side, if you know that I mean.

Anyways. Does anybody have any experience with these "shifter extension bar" bushings breaking? I'm assuming I'm going to have to get the part OEM and bust my a** removing the exhaust+mountmember+cross member and than have FUN getting the SRD bushing off the front (for those of you who have this.. you know that I mean...) I wonder if anybody has filled the surrounding area of this bushing with Urethane to fix it the probem and strengthen it for next time...?

Hope this info is useful to someone in the future.
GS-R SE
Fixin's
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

if you arent looking for performance just get the oem bushings from Mazda
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Which bushings are we talking about now...?

Obviously I am interested in performance. I could just buy the "extension bar" from mazda for about $60, but it's a b---- to install, and if those OEM bushings broke once (they aren't upgradable - they're built into the bar assembly) they could very well break again. I like the idea of filling around them with urethane.
GS-R SE
Fixin's
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

I was replying towards AshesofPepper
guess i shoulda quoted him, sorry :?
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

mdavis wrote:Which bushings are we talking about now...?

Obviously I am interested in performance. I could just buy the "extension bar" from mazda for about $60, but it's a beech to install, and if those OEM bushings broke once (they aren't upgradable - they're built into the bar assembly) they could very well break again. I like the idea of filling around them with urethane.
You should just run a bolt thru it like I did. Drill a hole thru that plate from the bottom into the car, then use some washers & a nut to secure it to the unibody inside.

Its like that anti-drop shifter bracket that the guy was selling on here, but it costs like $2 from Home Depot.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

atlantamx3 wrote:

Obviously I am interested in performance. I could just buy the "extension bar" from mazda for about $60, but it's a beech to install, and if those OEM bushings broke once (they aren't upgradable - they're built into the bar assembly) they could very well break again. I like the idea of filling around them with urethane.
You should just run a bolt thru it like I did. Drill a hole thru that plate from the bottom into the car, then use some washers & a nut to secure it to the unibody inside.

Its like that anti-drop shifter bracket that the guy was selling on here, but it costs like $2 from Home Depot.
Thanks for the post. I'm not sure I understand, though.

Here is a picture of the mount (maybe it's better to call this piece a "mount" not a "bushing") The left side is broken though although, you can't see it in the picture. Now what exactly is it that you did..? Thanks again.
GS-R SE
Fixin's
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

atlantamx3 wrote:

Thanks for the post. I'm not sure I understand, though.

Here is a picture of the mount (maybe it's better to call this piece a "mount" not a "bushing") The left side is broken though although, you can't see it in the picture. Now what exactly is it that you did..? Thanks again.
Also, looking at this more closely it doesn't look like filling it with urethane would be a great idea. Maybe ill stick a glob on either side of the new mounts to strengthen them if I end up getting new ones. ty
GS-R SE
Fixin's
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Okay I made a crappy diagram to explain.

I used your pic- but adapted it for my purposes. I know you took your pic from behind the shifter-- but the bolt needs to go near the front- so "flip" YOUR pic around and you get MY pic. (mine is meant to be like you are looking from the radio at the shifter)

The green bolt is where yours should end up after drilling thru the shifter rod plate.

This it where you drill thru it at:

Although you drill thru the UNDERSIDE of it while its still on the car.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Jay72

Post by Jay72 »

Sorry, I now this is an old thread but, holy crap! I'm assuming that's a B&M shifter in there. How did you get it so far in without breaking anything? The rubber O-rings in the shifter were having a hard enough time staying on as it was let alone getting the whole bloue housing in there. I wanted to give it a little more but, was afraid to tear the rubber housing (like that rectangular piece thats on both sides) or breaking something else. I haven't even got the retaining spring in there. It seems solid though. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jay

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”