Is a flywheel worth the investment?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
insanerino

Is a flywheel worth the investment?

Post by insanerino »

Hey,
I'm planning on getting an ACT Z62-HDSS Clutch Kit for my MX-3. I was wondering if a new Flywheel is worth the investment because they're not cheap at all. I looked briefly and it was more expensive than the clutch kit! Would the stock flywheel be okay? If not, which flywheel do you recomend?

-Randy
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

yeah man, keep the stock flywheel, but bring it to a machine shop and get the flywheel resurfaced or you might risk farking your clutch hardcore. Will cost like 50$ tops.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Make sure they machine the mounting tabs as well as the clutch contact surface.
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

yes it is worth it
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

im glad i got my fidanza, i love it
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

So when you purchase the light weight flywheel just go get it recut just to be on the safe side?
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

if you read the instructions normally off fidanza website or instructions in the package you will understand what to do or what you need.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

so i went to the fidanza website and they dont have any flywheels listed for the mx-3 :cry:
1993 RS Teal
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

For the V6 MX3s just get the one for the 2.5L probes/MX6s. If you have a 4cyl MX3 I would guess just find another car with the same engine and see if it's listed on the site.

I believe Unorthodox also makes lightweight flywheels.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

how many horses could you expect to get outta a fidnaza over stock? i think some hard numbers would be more telling as to whether or not its worth the investment or no
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

you dont really gain horsepower with a lighter flywheel, it just is less mass for the motor to turn so the RPM's climb faster bringing you inot the powerband quicker. It just takes less work to make the power. The downside is that you also drop RPM's faster between shifts, bringing you out of the powerband.

I guess that would be the same as more HP, but it really is taking more full advantage of the power that is there.

My guess would be around 5hp but like I said you get to your powerband quicker.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

hrmm.. thats interesting. thanks for the explanation
Cpl_Bryant

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

bmwm3guy wrote:you dont really gain horsepower with a lighter flywheel, it just is less mass for the motor to turn so the RPM's climb faster bringing you inot the powerband quicker. It just takes less work to make the power. The downside is that you also drop RPM's faster between shifts, bringing you out of the powerband.

I guess that would be the same as more HP, but it really is taking more full advantage of the power that is there.

My guess would be around 5hp but like I said you get to your powerband quicker.
Agreed. I noticed I drop to idle very quickly when I push the clutch in. Probably would make sense to add a short shifter into the mix to reduce the RPM drop as much as possible. But yeah, it does get up into the power band a lot quicker too. I thought some web site had actual HP numbers gained for every pound taken off the crankshaft. I want to say maybe 1HP for every 2.5lbs?
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/cplbryant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”