Quick Question about Oil

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX3parkerGS

Quick Question about Oil

Post by MX3parkerGS »

Hey everybody, my mx3 these past months has been going through oil like crazy, and im %99 sure its not leaking oil, so i assume its burning it quickly? My car has about zero oil left in it after 1,500 miles or so. So my question is, what do i need to fix/replace to fix this problem? I was thinking somewhere along the lines of replacing my head gaskets?? i have no clue, and im def. no car mechanic, I'd appreciate any responses!

Thanks! Parker.
'94 White MX-3 GS. Engine bay empty and waiting for the 2.5DE.

Completly stock, at this time.

Parker
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

are you blowing blue smoke out the tail pipe?
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
MX3parkerGS

Post by MX3parkerGS »

Well, when i watch someone else start my car, a tiny tiny hint of black smoke 'puffs' out of the muffler, and then after that, its pretty much clear, no blue smoke!, any ideas??

Parker

Parker
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Did you do a cylinder compression check? And did you check the coolant color?
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

Get somebody to take your car down the road or get somebody to watch you take your car down the road and see if there is blue lingering smoke shooting out the exhaust. Any small displacment japaneese engine will begin using more and more oil when it gets higher miles on it. Valve guides (valve stem seal) is likely what your problem is. Oil leaks past these into your clinder and burns out the exhaust. But it is a possibility your oil rings have seized from either letting it run too low on oil or not changing the oil enough. My parents Toyota tercel did this. 3 out of 4 oil rings were seized and the valve guides were worn...and there was some smoke.... For the money involved, you likely will be better off buying another engine.
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
MX3parkerGS

Post by MX3parkerGS »

wow, thanks for the replys guys! well i was always considering some day to swap a 2.5, takes me some time though! Im only 17 making a little more then mim. wage, but i have about $650 saved for that reason, guess I better add on to it then.

Parker

Parker

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”