radiator flush questions

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
D44Boy

radiator flush questions

Post by D44Boy »

Sup guys,
I have a 1993 mx-3 4-cyl, and Im about to do a flush because when I looked in the reservoir, the liquid looked super brown, almost exactly as it does when you drain oil. ANyway, I went and bought the prestone super flush thing and was gonna get coolant when I asked the guy question about one of them. I was asking about green or brown coolant and which was better to use. He said stick the one thats in the car now. Well I cant tell what I had before, so what am I supposed to use in my car? Also, after I drain and flush everything, exactly how much of the bottle of coolant do I pour in, and then how much water? Thanks for the help.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Welcome to the board. Go to http://www.mx-3.com main page and the online manual link down the left side of the page. Then go to pages E1-005 & 006 where you'll find step by step instructions including a pic of the radiator draincock location on 005. The online manual is for the 95 model but should still apply to your ride.

You have the right idea to flush since coolant turns brown when it hasn't been changed in too long a time & gets contaminated by rust and scale. You def want that old crap 100% outta there. The color of your replacement antifreeze (usually comes in green, sometimes bright pink) doesn't matter as long as it is Ethylene-Glycol-Based. Read the label to verify, but majority of antifreeze is this type. Max freeze/overheat protection is usually a 50/50% mix of antifreeze and demineralized (i.e. distilled or filtered) water. There is a coolant mix chart on page E1-005 showing mix ratios depending on your climate. To get the correct ratio, use a clean empty container, and premix your new coolant mixture a couple quarts/liters at a time before adding to the radiator. No guesswork that way.
Image -Jim
Edwood

Post by Edwood »

Be very careful with that draincock, if it's a screw type one. It strips very easily, because it's made from plastic.

Best bet is to just yank the hose and let the fluid drain quickly that way. But it's very messy that way. Good opportunity to replace the hoses if they are worn as well.

-Ed
"Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you are."<BR>-Brillat Savarin
placham

Post by placham »

hey, when you drain your antfreeze completley you can put eather one, the green one or the red one makes no differance, the red one is better think you can make more miles between changes something like regular oil and sinthetic. if it was my car and you completley drain the cars antyfreeze I would put the red one in.

They are called

Ethylene Glycol >>>>>>>>> Green
Propylen Glycol >>>>>>>> Red/Pink could be some other color like orang but usually seen red

Your car sinec it is a 1993 I think you said, it will be green think they did not have the red one till like 1997 or 1996 not sure do.

The red (PG) one replaced the green (EG)one, just like in AC R134a replaced the R12 refrigirant simply because it's better for the enviorment (for humans and animals) not poisonous.

Also
PG (propyene glycol) mixed with distilled water(water you should use)
50%-50% freeze at -26F(-32C)
60%-40% freeze at -54F(-48C)
70%-30% freezing point will increase but think no on ses that type of mix

EG (ethylene glycol) mixed with distilled water
50%-50% freeze at -35F(-37C)
70%-30% freeze at -67F(-55C)

Most antefreeze is prediluted or premixed. most common mix is 50-50, 50 parts antefreeze to 50 parts water. You can use 60-40, 70-30 I guess is used in Alaska or omewhere like that. I have straight coolant in my car, just simply because I was lazy to mix it, but not sure if it wasent premixed do. Straight coolant is not good for your engine , corosion, and scale build up in engine, that why coolant turns to musty brown, rusty color.

hope it helps you

P.S. have mazda 1993 mx3 drivers/owners manual and it mentions to "use ethylene-glycol-based coolat to prevent corroson and freezing."

Chart
VOLUME
PROTECTION ANTIFREEZE SOLUTION WATER
above 3F (-16C) 35% 65%
above -15F(-26C) 45% 55%
above -40F(-40C) 55% 45%
this is all out of the manual and it should be serviced V6 1.8L and I4 1.6L around or every 30,000 miles
gapimpin

Post by gapimpin »

kind of off topic here but what if i hypothetically put in dex cool the orange stuff would that hurt anything?
highlife

Post by highlife »

gapimpin wrote:kind of off topic here but what if i hypothetically put in dex cool the orange stuff would that hurt anything?
You may want to type 'Dex Cool problems' into google before considering it for your vehicle. I had a bad first hand experience with it in my Pontiac 3.4 engine, it can destroy gasket seals - especially manifold gaskets. I dont know of any documented issues with Mazda and dex-cool.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”