exhaust next week need specific size PLEASE :)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

exhaust next week need specific size PLEASE :)

Post by hgallegos915 »

ok.. heres the deal...appointment is for next week... i know im moving pretty quick but oh well its good reliable cheap labor.. I need to know what size piping should i use after the kat converter as far as exhaust..not using headers yet... the engine is kfze 2.0. I have not kat converter ..obx muffler and i still have that stock additional muffler. I dont want it to loud and i dont want to loose power as I do this..anyone got any equations I can use? or even beter specific pipe diameter? 2.5? 2.0 ? What do I do with the additional little muffler that is in the middle of the system? remove it? I dont need to worry about emissions. Any help is very well appreciated and Im sure your mx3 will be blessed with tons of neat mods :D
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

id say 2 1/4 inch should do unless if u want a type of forced induction or u want alot of stuff done to ur engine than 2.5inch is they way to go. i got 2.5inch on my k8 and it is loud (without the silencer in it) and i didnt notice any power loss although i may not notice it but but i maybe did.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

so 2 1/4??
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
shawno

Post by shawno »

Yeah i would run 2 1/4 if you dont have a lot of hp there wont be enough back pressure. so yes 2 1/4 should be alright
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

ok ill do that :) so if im not at around 170... i would gain lets say..um 5?
-hec

jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Hector, I think you already know the answer. Look up Tatsu's thread wrt Magna Flow - tons of info. IMO, 2.25 with Magna Flow Cat, pre-silencer and muffler. You'll probably come out with that after going through that thread.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

2.25"
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

yes 2.25 is good, thas what I have on my k8 and it bogs just a tiny bit, it would be perfect for a KF man.
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

I know I may be among the few...but i think the pacesetter 2.25 cat back is the way to go. Its Cheap, should last a few years, and isnt loud at all unless you really romp on it. I currently have a DE with obx headers, a magnaflow cat, and a modified pacesetter set up and its awesome( i say modified because I have to cut some of it due to the headers being longer then the stock exhaust) This setup has been on my car for about one and a half years and the only rust is on the welds, but there is no rust on the inside of the exhaust, only surface rust. Also for 180 dollars shipped to your door thats hard to beat. When Im on the highway I dont hear the exhaust which is what matters to me because I drive all over the place. Good luck in whatever you choose, but yea I def think 2.25 inches is the way to go
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

thanks! i really appreciate all this usefull information :D one last thing..should I delete that silencer? (second muffler) or keep it?
-hec

rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

I used a 2.5" crush bent system with a thrush chamber muffler. It is a nice (stealthy looking) system, although a bit loud w/o a cat.

I ran 13.05 @ 109.5, so it flows plenty.

I'm going to sell the system for like $80+shipping. So like $120 or so shipped. Any takers? ;)
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse
Macen

Post by Macen »

schuttie2002 wrote:I know I may be among the few...but i think the pacesetter 2.25 cat back is the way to go. Its Cheap, should last a few years, and isnt loud at all unless you really romp on it. I currently have a DE with obx headers, a magnaflow cat, and a modified pacesetter set up and its awesome( i say modified because I have to cut some of it due to the headers being longer then the stock exhaust) This setup has been on my car for about one and a half years and the only rust is on the welds, but there is no rust on the inside of the exhaust, only surface rust. Also for 180 dollars shipped to your door thats hard to beat. When Im on the highway I dont hear the exhaust which is what matters to me because I drive all over the place. Good luck in whatever you choose, but yea I def think 2.25 inches is the way to go
Have you got any sound clips that you can send me?
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

I dont have any with the new engine cause my camera has been forked lately. Ill see if I can borrow someones and then Ill tyr to post a few clips
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

jschrauwen wrote:Hector, I think you already know the answer. Look up Tatsu's thread wrt Magna Flow - tons of info. IMO, 2.25 with Magna Flow Cat, pre-silencer and muffler. You'll probably come out with that after going through that thread.
Here's a couple of pics of those Magna Flow items that Tatsu identified;

Hope this helps.
*John*
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”