intake manifold help!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Kokiriwave

intake manifold help!

Post by Kokiriwave »

Hey guys, I'm changing my intake manifold gaskets and my rear valve cover gasket.. but i can't get the damn thing off. I've taken the throttlebody off, the bolts, I can kinda rattle it but its being stubborn in the back. Is there some kind of braket holding it together?

PICTURES WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, if you have the engine out of the car or laying around please post.
I want MAZDASPEED!
MY WEBSITE:: http://kingmx.net
shawno

Post by shawno »

hey are u trying to get the intake off. I belive theres a bolt on the either side of each intake port and theres also 4 other bolts in there aswell kinda hidden. there at each corner of the intake.
good luck
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

there is a big hose on the back left side of the intake it is almost an inch in diametre. check for that. I missed that one and struggled for a while when i did mine.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

for the intake manifold there is a metal bracket holding it on after all the bolts are off.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

the im is easy and it takes around 30 mins to take off :) the first time..after that it takes as little as 10-15 mins to take off, heres what you gotta do...first unplug ALL electrical conectors, fuel rails and vacums to manifold (label them) Then you get a 12 mm deep socket and you will need something to make torque with..(i used a small long tube) loosen all the bolts on the ports NOT THE INJECTORS... need to unpug throlttle body's water hoses and intake hoses. Then simply pull and walla...it comes out :) Now that its off, take a couple of mins to spray some card cleaner and scrub with toothbrush until its metal looking (intake ports) also itd a good idea to spray the inside of manifold..i used 1 can and it was still not that clean... again why are you removing it? Ill try to get some pics when i install my other de manifold.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Kokiriwave

update

Post by Kokiriwave »

I removed the intake manifold...I changed the rear valve cover and intake manifold gasket.

I put everything back together except for the bracket in the back because its a pain to take off everytime.

Now for the problems.. On the intake manifold there is a black tube that runs next to the throttle cable near the 2nd rear spark plug well, this plug goes to 1 of 2 small black boxes connected the manifold. That connection broke.

I forgot to get the throttlebody gasket, so when i took the TB off some of it chipped off. My idle is wierd, which is normal for me (lol), it'll start then go to 500rpm jump up to 2250rpm then to 3000rpm

:?: my question is which problem is most likely the culprit, What do the black boxes under intake manifold? Anything that can cause damage if run?

the dealership is 11miles from my house, is it ok if i run it there and back, and finally could the problem be something else? like an airleak somewhere or forgot to connect something...let me know.

Thanks to those who replied, I really appreciate the help.
I want MAZDASPEED!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

wello I have a leaky tb and what it does is when you maccelerate it will accelerate by itself a bit.. also if its the brake booster line you will have a whizzling sound. VAcums which ones do you need help with? The vacums i learned by memory y taking the manifold out lots of times and back in.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

hgallegos915 wrote:the im is easy and it takes around 30 mins to take off :) the first time..after that it takes as little as 10-15 mins to take off, heres what you gotta do...first unplug ALL electrical conectors, fuel rails and vacums to manifold (label them) Then you get a 12 mm deep socket and you will need something to make torque with..(i used a small long tube) loosen all the bolts on the ports NOT THE INJECTORS... need to unpug throlttle body's water hoses and intake hoses. Then simply pull and walla...it comes out :)
Forget all that work. If it's just a gasket change or pheno install, you only need to take off a ground strap and the VRIS plug on the passenger side, then disconnect the intake at the throttlebody inlet. After that, the whole manifold should tilt sideways to the driver's side without having to leak coolant and fuel all over the place. It's alot easier and cleaner thsi way.
Kokiriwave

Post by Kokiriwave »

Whats this? And could this effect engine performance? Just gave the car a little run and it idles at 1000rpm fine, but the way it idles just sucks! you can hear it from the intake and the exhaust noise.

I want MAZDASPEED!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

ouch... thats part of the vris chambers..i also cracked it. i fixed it by getting a wd40 straw and some strong heat resistant glue/cement. Works like a charm.
-hec

Kokiriwave

Post by Kokiriwave »

could this be the possible cause to my idle issues?
I want MAZDASPEED!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Yes, it is most likely the issue.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Kokiriwave

Post by Kokiriwave »

nope theres something else....

when i deaccelerate the engine check light comes on

when i accelerate the light goes off..
I want MAZDASPEED!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”