Clunk I mentioned before but now squealing sound

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
psneddon

Clunk I mentioned before but now squealing sound

Post by psneddon »

Hi all, Just looking for some advice on what is causing this - even though I know its hard to tell without seeing the car :)

For a few months now I have had a strange sort of clunk, well its not as dull as a clunk coming from what sounds like to be under the front of the car but sometimes it sound nearer the shifter. It somes times happens 2 or 3 times on a journey and sometimes not for a few days or even weeks, Sometimes AFTER I've came over a bump or AFTER i've turned but also sometimes when I accelerate or brake.

The other thing is I also have a squeaking/squealing noise coming from the front which I can hear at slow speeds, sounds like a un-oiled shopping trolley or somethings. There are a few other slight (very slight) grinding noises but these are alot better then the grining I used to hear at 2k rpms in 2nd gear before I changed my gear oil.

So I'm just wondering if the clunking and squealing is part of the same problem. I can seen through one of the alloys that the 2nd boot (the one furthest from the wheel and higher up is all punctured and twisted. What is that boot and could the joint inside it be causing these problems.

I just passed its MOT fine so I know it cant be the CV or drop link.

Thanks for reading,

Paul
psneddon

Post by psneddon »

Well the squealing sound was getting very loud, constant, and annoying. So while I was on a break at work I sprayed some WD-40 in 1 or 2 places, mainly the drop links and surrounding parts. Also I am missing half of one of my front wheel centres so lots of water and dirt get in, even though I dont see how this could be the problem I spayed some WD-40 in there 2.

Low and behold when I left work to go home the noise is 95% gone? How could this have fixed the problem? Does it make any sense.

Paul

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”