rear window glass redesign?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
joybrandy

rear window glass redesign?

Post by joybrandy »

I was wondering if anybody know a good place that can redesign my rear window glass, preferbly in Calgary, AB?
Want to make it look more like RX-7 style.
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

theres lots of posts asking this, use the search feature.
it has been done, putting an rx7 hatch on an mx3, as well as a conversion to making it look like a del sol at the back.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

ACtually they put an Mx-3 hatch on an Rx-7, but alot of people have wantd to put an Rx-7 hatch on an Mx-3...joybrandy, if you get this project on the way, there will be alot of people interested in your progress.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
joybrandy

Post by joybrandy »

Don't know where to start with, who should I ask?
Isn't it cheaper for just cutting a curve shapped glass than getting a totally new RX7 hatch? What are the price ranges?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Couldn't tell ya, it would be a first attempt, so there will be no documented way of doing this The Mx-3 and Rx7 hatch are fairly similar in shape, but I don't think anyone had had an Rx-7 hatch laying around to see how well they fit/don't fit, but eyeballing it they look very close, and if it does fit, you would only need to customise the tail end to fit and latch, just some metal/bondo/paint work

If you modify the Mx-3 hatch, not only will you need to have metal work done, but glass isnt' cut, it's melted/molded to that shape. I have no idea how much custom work of thick, strong (the glass on cars is also designed for safety, you don't want to use thin glass) glass to mold toa custom shape of that size, but I'm thinking $$$

The next option would be to get the rear hatch off of an Rx-7 and take out the glass portion of it and so custom work to fit it to the Mx-3's hatch frame. Still easier than customer glass work.

In the end, for money and ease sake, you'll need to find an Rx-7 hatch, you can see if it lines up with the Mx-3 curvature (or with minimal work), that would be the easiest way, but if it doesn't, you'll still need the rx-7 hatch to strip out the glass and custom mount it to the mx-3 hatch frame.

This is all just speculation, and unfortuantely, all we can do is throw out ideas, your literally on your own.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
joybrandy

Post by joybrandy »

Thanks for all the suggestions.
please tell me that is pic from photoshop right? :o
I'm thinking, if that's a real thing, I'll melt & mold my own. :)
Just an expensive thought, maybe I'll start this project when I have more fund available.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Nope it's real, its in the photosection of the main Mx-3.com page

It shouldn't be that bad, if you can find a wreckers or a parting out one on Rx7club or another Rx7 site, I don't see whose hatches in large demand and should be farily cheap. I would try to find a spare mx-3 hatch as well, just in case.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

they've done both, rx7 glass in the mx3 its some drag car, and mx3 glass on the rx7
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
cris_barros

Post by cris_barros »

What about some "Ferrari style"....from Brazil....

The rear window glass is so damn expensive around here (US$1.500,00)...so it's cheaper to make a custom rear end :wink:

Cris

fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

ya there was that drag mx3 that had an rx7 hatch on it.

and what the? ferrari rear end? mx3? im in a loss for words.....
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

im going to start getting ready to do this..I hope I dont mess my mx3's shape :S tehres no going bac once i take the glass out...
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
DreamSpawn

Post by DreamSpawn »

IMO the ferrari rear end is aboslutly the best thing i've seen in awhile. I think i herd of a MX3 with a del sol looking rear?
joybrandy

Post by joybrandy »

onderground used to sell del sol style hatch for mx3, not anymore.
really eager to see somebody do this conversion now.
Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

I think this is the drag car with the RX7 hatch:

Here's the Del Sol conversion:

Andrew Pakula's website has a lotta cool pics:
http://www.zerokarma.com/mx-3/cool.htm
::'94 MX-3 GS::KLZE::

Return to “Appearance”