Choosing All-weather Tires

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Dr.Faustus

Choosing All-weather Tires

Post by Dr.Faustus »

Hey all,

I am looking for new tires for my '92 MX-3 GS that is 99% stock. This car is a daily-driver and I drive on snowy and icy roads all winter long (ski instructor). I have Michelin Pilot XGT V4's on it right now and previously had BF Goodrich Touring T/A's (as I remember), both of which were decent tires.

Winter is coming soon and my Michelin's are wearing thin. So, I'm looking for suggestions on all-weather, sport tires. I'm running stock rims so the size would be 205/55 R15.

One possibility is the BF Goodrich Traction T/A - does anyone have experience with these?

Thanks,
Dr.Faustus
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

im looking at bridgestone g-009 I believe that is the name. I know a few guys that use them and say they are a great year round tire.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

well if u can find the right size tire x-ice are supposably very good for the snow and ice only i dunno how they would be in summer. if u can 205/15 than thats good u dont need a 55mm sidewall even with a 65 would be good
Last edited by fieromx3 on September 6th, 2005, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

the traction t/a's are awesome for all season i totally recomend them. great in the snow and ice and well they are great sporty tire for summer also with a 210 kmh speed rating or 240 kmh speed rating i believe it depends on what size you go with on that. i give them 2 thumbs up im getting them for my rs with a 205/60r14.
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
Dr.Faustus

Post by Dr.Faustus »

Have been doing some more research and price shopping. I'm currently leaning towards the Yokohama Avid V4's. They are top ranked on TireRack.com for All-Weather Performance radials. And the Yoko's are cheapest locally, which is a plus.

It's also occurred to me that I haven't gotten many miles out of my Michelin's. I need to look at the original purchase info and warranty and see how fast they have really worn. I'll see if there is any possible re-imbursement / discount / etc. to be had there.

I expect to make a purchase in the next week or so and will post then.

Thanks,
Dr.Faustus
'92 MX-3 GS, mostly stock
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

falken zeix 512's...

cheaper than most & rated the best. I agree, ive been using them for the past 3 years, better than my shitzstones, yokohamas and pirellis.

their wet traction is unparalleled to any other tire i've driven on. its almost as if the roads aren't wet. I also had no problem driving in snow with these, but didnt' get too much experience with them since it didn't snow much this past winter.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Personally from experience, I'm a firm believer in snow tires for Canadian winters, but since that's off-topic for this thread, I'll leave it at that.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Dr.Faustus

Post by Dr.Faustus »

1. There is definitely NO mileage warranty on the Michelin Pilot XGT's. They've been a good tire, but only getting about 30K miles out of them isn't impressive.

2. Gro, who rates the Falken zeix 512's best? I'll check them out, just curious as to who rated them and against which competition.

3. Nd4SpdSe - Snow Tires. Good point, snow tires are definitely best on snow and icy roads. I'm chosing the "compromise" all-weather tires because:
A) Even with my ski instructing, most of my winter driving is on dry pavement.
B) I've only gotten stuck with all-weather tires once and that was one VERY snowy morning (~6 inches of snow) when I got up the road ahead of the snowplow. Now I have cable-chains :D
C) $. I'm not excited about buying a second set of rims and tires.
D) I would be (pleasantly) surprised if this winter is as snowy as last.

Thanks,
Dr.Faustus
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Just out of curiousity, where do you live Faustus?

I didn't want to do into the whole spiel about why I like winter tires better. Although I got stuck only once (kinda) in the 626 with all seasons, I had gotten a wet of winter's when I bought the Mx-3, and I couldn't believe the difference, I was instantly hooked on them. Since I started to put the Mx-3 away for the winter since last winter and bought a set of winters for the 626. The best part is that each set of tires should last about twice as long since they're only driven had the year.

It your choise, but I wanted to throw out the idea for you, but since you don't get much snow, you probably won't need them
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Dr.Faustus

Post by Dr.Faustus »

Just out of curiousity, where do you live Faustus?
I live in Northern New Mexico at the southern tip of the Rocky Mountains. So, while I drive up a mountain every winter weekend, my daily driving is in a high desert town. If I lived in the mountains it would be a different story (I would probably have a different car too). Dedicated snow tires aren't as logical where I live as they would be in Canada or even 25 miles north or west of here.

Thanks again,
Dr.Faustus
Dr.Faustus

Post by Dr.Faustus »

Got the new Yokohama Avid V4S's installed, balanced, etc. As I don't race/ autocross/ run skidpad tests I can't definitively compare these to the Michelins. But... there is no noticeable increase in road noise (could be quieter?) and they feel very stable on a tight freeway onramp curve that I drive weekly.

So far, so good. In a couple of months I hope to see how they handle snow.

Dr.F.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”