oil color

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
ariesdude

oil color

Post by ariesdude »

Hi, anyone know what the normal engine oil color should be - mine looks almost greenish greyish brown - i dont know if i should head for the shop and get an oil/filter change or is that normal? Thanks.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

A normal engine that has regular oil changes should have oil that is still golden colored and is somewhat transparent. Dirty oil is generally blackish in color. Greenish grayish brown could mean a head gasket is blown and allowing coolant to mix into the oil passage(s). That would be bad.

1. When was the oil last changed?

2. Does it get changed regularly like at 3K or 4K miles?

3. Has it been normally colored in the past?

4. Does your engine run smooth or rough and has there been a change lately in it running much rougher?

5. Has the car severely overheated lately?

6. Ck. the coolant in the radiator (with the engine cold). Does the coolant have a normal bright green (or pink) color of antifreeze mixture or is the coolant the same color and consistency of your oil?

If the answers to 4, 5, and 6 are "much rougher", "yes", and "has same color and consistency as my oil," you may have a blown head gasket. Otherwise, just do an oil & filter change and monitor it closely and often.
Image -Jim
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

neutral wrote:A normal engine that has regular oil changes should have oil that is still golden colored and is somewhat transparent. Dirty oil is generally blackish in color. Greenish grayish brown could mean a head gasket is blown and allowing coolant to mix into the oil passage(s). That would be bad.

1. When was the oil last changed?

2. Does it get changed regularly like at 3K or 4K miles?

3. Has it been normally colored in the past?

4. Does your engine run smooth or rough and has there been a change lately in it running much rougher?

5. Has the car severely overheated lately?

6. Ck. the coolant in the radiator (with the engine cold). Does the coolant have a normal bright green (or pink) color of antifreeze mixture or is the coolant the same color and consistency of your oil?

If the answers to 4, 5, and 6 are "much rougher", "yes", and "has same color and consistency as my oil," you may have a blown head gasket. Otherwise, just do an oil & filter change and monitor it closely and often.
For Q 1, 2 & 3 - I dont know - i just got the car a month ago - i had it checked by a local mechanic and he said the engine is in good condition.
For Q 4 - I got new spark plugs (Autolite double platinum) recently and it resulted in a dramatic power boost - but i think the engine is running rougher than before.
For Q 5 - I havent let it overheat so far -
For Q 6 - The coolant color is normal - i noticed that the coolant level was a bit low a few weeks ago and i refilled it - but it has stayed the same level/color since then.
I am going to get a oil change soon and i am going to monitor it closely. Thanks a lot for the help. I dearly hope that it is not the head gasket - i really cant deal with that right now :(
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Sounds like an oil/filter change is all that's needed then. Getting it checked by a mech was good.
Image -Jim
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

???

Your oil coming out of your oil pan is greenish/brown/milky brown (like coffee w/milk)?

If so water has contaminated your oil. Most likely culprit is a blown head gasket.

This will cause your engine to wear out FAST as water breaks down oil to the point where it doesnt really lubricate anymore, just becomes a disgusting sludge from hell (pain to clean up too).
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”