jdm k8ze more power?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
stereoking15

jdm k8ze more power?

Post by stereoking15 »

a-spec cars have 130hp in gs models does the jdm k8ze have more power if so how much? Where can i get a good quality one and relatively low shipping preferrably in the u.s./ shipping from canada is expensive. Has anyone ever used any of the gude/bullfrog performance cam,throttle body, ported and polished heads? if you have whats the price and does it make a significant difference? Would it be a better choice to do that or a jdm k8ze and if i do both would i expect any gains off the jdm k8ze with the gude/bullfrog equipment? any insight is of value just no theorems please
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Fpr the price of all that, its cheaper to get a ZE.
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

Indeed and tons more power!
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

it's harder and more expensive to get a good ze, but would it be worth while to get a jdm k8ze if im looking for cheap power if the jdm k8 makes more power that is?
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

isnt the k8ze only 10 more hp???
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

ya about 10hp increase
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

its cheaper to get a KL-DE, 35 more HP than the stock K8 and a LOT more torque and the swap is just as easy
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
slowmx3

Post by slowmx3 »

Custommx3 wrote:Fpr the price of all that, its cheaper to get a ZE.
He wants to get a ZE a K8-ZE! LOL i'm a loser sorry.. 8)
1992 mx-3, a couple mods, i'm still a n00b
---Don't try and church your car up, MX-3's aren't fast---
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

well if u dont want a de or ze..ur better off with a kfze.. because 10 hp is not worth the swap.. i know i was told kfze isnt worth it either but bleh im stuck with it. Anything is better than a k8..you canget 10 hp more if u simply get some headers and a good intake i believe?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

unless you're putting hi-octane fuel in your k8ze..., your not gonna see an increase anyway......, but if you're determined to get one, i've got a k8ze ecu sitting in my closet you can have for the price of shipping! :D
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

stereoking15 wrote:it's harder and more expensive to get a good ze, but would it be worth while to get a jdm k8ze if im looking for cheap power if the jdm k8 makes more power that is?
you are overlooking a gigantic thing here.

taking the engine out, putting it back in...that doesn't mean anything?

Sure a klze might cost 800-900 dollars VS 400-500 for a k8ze but....BFD?

You still need to replace timing belt, vc gasket, thermostat, water pump, plugs, wires, possibly more stuff, and a new clutch if you put in a new engine (or you are a fool if you don't and wait for s--- to break instead). That stuff alone will add another 300-600 to the total price, possibly more.

I really don't see why ANY person in their right mind would purchase a KF or K8 to replace a K8 in their stock mx3. IF you are going through the effort to rip it all out, why not get a superior motor? It gets maybe 2-3 mpg less than a k8, thats the only downside i can see to it. If driven conservatively you can use regular-grade octane fuel, but if driven hard, use premium.

Other than that, it is same in dimensions, is ridiculously easy to install, parts are abundant state-side, IMO the engine itself is VERY inexpensive for being a jdm imported motor. Hell, most honda and nissan motors are well into the 1800 price bracket USD. KLZE's are consistently under 1000 usd shipped! It is also a reliable engine...many people have been using it for 3+ years with no issues. I haven't had a single issue related to my engine ever come up.

If you want a cheap replacement engine that makes DECENT power get a KLDE for 150 bux. There are bazillions of them out there and they still will make a mx3 fly compared tothe stock k8.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Totally agree with Gro...., that lil speech is a must read for anyone considering a swap!
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

of course you do realize you are free to do as you wish with your mx3...just advice people give.. I mean it IS YOURS...
-hec

stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

appreciate all of the feedback and good input i will consider looking into a kl-ze with all considerations. Anyone try anything from gude racing such as the more agressive cams?
chertel

Post by chertel »

Gro's speech just almost inspired me to do the swap. I will in the near future as I have the kl36ecu and millenia manifold. I just need the mazdaspeed motor mounts and klze engine then away I go. I am just putting the swap on hold because My k8 is still going strong at 270,000kms. I have new exhaust, prm intake and msd digital ignition control box so I am good for now till the engine dies, if that ever happens? I drive it hard and it still goes, hoping it will die to give me the final excuse I need to do the swap.
One question. On psituning.ca they are selling headers for $450, Install instructions on website and can be used on 1.8k8 motor or klze. Has anyone bought these or know if they are any good?
later.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”