Snapped An Axle...Common??

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Slammed6

Snapped An Axle...Common??

Post by Slammed6 »

OK, i just got my MX-3 running not too long ago and i had issues with my CM clutch i bought and had to put the car together with a stock Mx-3 flywheel and clutch. These are my parts i have in there:

-KLZE (straight neck version, KL31 cams)
-Millenia Intake manifold
-KL36 ECU
-Outlaw Phenolic Spacers
-MBX Underdrive Pulley
-MBX SS Clutch Line
-SS Autochrome Headers
-2.5" Header Back Piping
-Major Weight Reduction (Cars approx 2200 Lbs)
-Fidanza 8.8 Lb Flywheel
-Clutchmasters Stage 4 (4-puck sprung)

Well i ran the car several times with the stock clutch slipping and it ran great...but today i got my new disk from Clutchmasters. So i decided to throw it in and installed my new Fidanza flywheel in at the same time.

I drove it around punching outa couple times just to see how well it grabs...it was perfect. Well i opened it up and then went to shift into second and then car was like in permanent neutral. Come to find out i snapped my passenger side axle. Is this a common problem or do u think it was a faulty axle?? These are brand new axles from AutoZone, you think its a factory defect or does this happen with other people??

Thanks in advance.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Aftermarket axles are not built with the same specs as stock axels. I found that out when trying to get a custom axle for my LSD. When buying from a parts store it is not likely that you are getting a remanned Mazda axle but one that a company made themselves. The ones they make will be just enough to get by to save money. So that is your problem. Go get a pair from Mazda (I know they will be expensive) or get a high HP set (probably not much more in cost) Those crappy aftermarket ones just aren't going to hold up.
Contact Constant Velocity on Ocala Florida for a good, not too high priced high HP axle. They are building one for me now for a good price. Talk with Kevin and tell him Patrick sent you. Their number is 352-351-9641.
They specialize in CV axles and know a ton about them. They also do alot of FWD race car stuff. They came recomended to me and I am super happy with what dealings I've had with them so far.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

CV Tech in Hull, Quebec, Canada made me some high-HP axels for my ZE. Brought in my broken stockers in the morning, came home with a new set of custom made High HP axels good for 350 WHP.

Cost me 400$CDN

Both babybluemx3 and I have these axels and have yet to have any problems with them breaking. Steve has had them for much longer than me too.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Do you have a phone number for CV Tech? I was just at the track Fri and snaped my left axle. It's under warenty but in the winter I will be looking for a good set of axles.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Another thing you might want to consider is running in / wearing in the clutch a bit too....
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Those Autozone axles blow donkey dong. After I disassembled one, I found out how poorly constructed they are.

Anyways, if you're looking at doing alot of drag, I just noticed Corksport is carrying heavy duty axles. It sounds suspiciously like the ones from Raxles.com, though, jsut twice as expensive.
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

Trevor wrote:Do you have a phone number for CV Tech?
819-595-0400 or 1-800-567-9964 (someone told me the 1800 number doesnt work anymore but i dunno..)
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

lakersfan1 wrote:Those Autozone axles blow donkey dong. After I disassembled one, I found out how poorly constructed they are.

Anyways, if you're looking at doing alot of drag, I just noticed Corksport is carrying heavy duty axles. It sounds suspiciously like the ones from Raxles.com, though, jsut twice as expensive.
Theres are from http://www.driveshaftshop.com . I have a set.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

$700.usd compared to $400.cdn ... big difference!!! Eric, how do your's and Steve's from CV Tech compare to those from the http://www.driveshaftshop.com ?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

I dunno, their site looks a little sketchy. For twice the price, I really wonder how you can justify that when even if they offer 10,000,000HP axels, do we need more than the CV Tech 350whp ones? If it was a bit more Id say go for it and see how it goes, but twice the price??? :?

I dont know too many people running 350+hp setups on the mx3. If you're looking for more, CV Tech also does stronger setups but for more money too. I never asked how much exactly.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

I have them for over 2 years. Endured many pass at the quarter mile and many boosted hours :) even on 20 psi..they hold just great.
If you get rid of wheel hop then you get rid of a big problem causing axles to break.
They don't look much different than stock, but talked to the guy over there about it and he says he's using another kind of joint and the material used is better
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

bmwm3guy wrote:I dunno, their site looks a little sketchy. .
Sketchy? Define sketchy.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

cjthor wrote:
bmwm3guy wrote:I dunno, their site looks a little sketchy. .
Sketchy? Define sketchy.
Sketchy: Something I can design and build in about 5 minutes. That site doesn't look all that professional to me.
n2ogsze

Post by n2ogsze »

Be glad axles are snapping and not transmissions. I'd keep using the autozone axles with lifetimes warranties. They can be replaced in 15 minutes and are cheap insurance. I'd rather have the axles being the breakaway point rather than the tranny.
T61 powered KLZE
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

The funny part is i got another AutoZone axle and have yet to have a problem with it. And this axle i have squeezed on it and beat the piss outta it, and even ran a couple 12 sec passes at the track and still running strong. Maybe its just the luck of the draw.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”