dies when a/c turned on

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
gapimpin

dies when a/c turned on

Post by gapimpin »

i rebuilt my head redid the timing gave my car a tune up runs great but when i turn the a/c on while at idle my car dies. it runs fine while im driving a/c blows cold comes on great but if i dont turn it off when i come to a stop my car dies while im rolling. anyone have any ideas? i think its electrical myself but if anyone has any other ideas id rather not dig through my wiring.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Probably already cked this but just in case, first guess would be to ck alt belt tension for correct deflection. A/C might be putting more of an elec load on than the alt can handle if the drive belt is even slightly too loose.
Image -Jim
gapimpin

Post by gapimpin »

checked the belt tension was actually a little tight so i loostend it up a bit still having the same problem idle is fine until a/c is turned on then car dies
gapimpin

Post by gapimpin »

also when i rev the engine it hangs at 1500rpm's before it idles down dont know if that has anything to do with it but i thought it was strange
dude33694

a/c prob

Post by dude33694 »

haha mine is doing the same thing... going to check the ign and valve timing this weekend and check all electrical "yes i went out and dropped too much money for a timing light and a ohmmeter... *sigh* so much for the 200 dollar gas saver)

but ill let you know how it goes and what i find
-Taylor
facko

Post by facko »

i got the same problem lol and everytime i ask no one has an answer for me :(
BP swap -- Pacesetter Header -- Custom CAI -- Custom 2.5 Exhaust w/ a Thrush Glasspack and 40 Series Flowmaster -- SPEC Stage 2 Clutch Kit
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

I was having a problem with high idle and surging idle when I hit the brakes. I cleaned the tb and idle speed control valve (thanks to Tunes67 for the awesome write up in the FAQ) and re_adjusted the idle screw. Seems to have all but solved my problems. She finally idles perfect again.

When you had everything apart, did you unplug your idle speed control valve? You said the car only died with the a/c at idle. If your isc is unplugged the motor wouldn't be able to raise the idle to compensate for your a/c at idle. Something small and stupid I know, but it's worth a shot.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
all8up

Post by all8up »

Mine did the same thing, I found out that the AC was overcharged! You might want to have the system fully vacuumed and recharged. Or you could try to let a little pressure out of the low side of the ac system. It worked for me! good luck!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”