93 GS Surging Problems ASAP

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
KanadianIceMan

93 GS Surging Problems ASAP

Post by KanadianIceMan »

when the car is first started it will idle high say, 1700 or so. it will then start "surging" and will flucuate rpm of about 150, until something "warms" up and the surging then subsides as if it never happened.

anyideas :D

oh ya rush rush :twisted: :twisted:
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: 93 GS Surging Problems ASAP

Post by jschrauwen »

KanadianIceMan wrote:when the car is first started it will idle high say, 1700 or so. it will then start "surging" and will flucuate rpm of about 150, until something "warms" up and the surging then subsides as if it never happened. anyideas :D oh ya rush rush :twisted: :twisted:
Iceman, this ain't no Timmies drive through and we don't jump when you snap your fingers. Since you've only had it for 3 weeks and have already posted that you've had numerous problems with vents and locks and now your experiencing engine problems, I have a few suggestions. Get your but into the archives via the search function (and read, read, read) as this "surge" problem has been addressed numerous times before and you'll find all sorts of recommendations there. Next, did you get the previous service records of the car? Do you know it's history? If not, then I suggest you scrap your "airbag" ideas for now and tend to issues that matter more and that's with ensuring your car is in top notch health, timing, tuning, fluid changing (oil, transmission, coolant, power steering) inspections etc.
The drive through window is now closed. Have a good read.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
KanadianIceMan

Post by KanadianIceMan »

awww damn i wanted an apple fritter!

fair enough i would say the same thing, im just impatient :D
mymx3smokesalot

Post by mymx3smokesalot »

kanadian pay this guy no mind,he answers everyone the same way with a big lecture about search. he wastes more time and space with his rants than he would if he just answered the question.
and btw i believe every possible question that can be asked about these 10 yr old cars has already been answered.so maybe the v6 tech forum should be closed to posting and just be for searching,and then a person like jschrauwen who obviously has more important things to do wouldn't have to waste his time telling everyone to search.
and damn does this guy live on here?
KanadianIceMan

Post by KanadianIceMan »

well i started it up to show my buddy what the surging was.

and well, i tdidnt surge, it just sat at 2k RPM, i revved it, it was at like 2300, dropped back down to 2000

no surging..........

it has a weak a-- battery in there so maybe it just needs a new battery?

cause my dad put it int the garage for me so we can work on it, had it running no doubt and saying damn he wished he had a little "sports" car instead of a truck.

but, no surging. its up on jacks right now getting new tread tomorrow so ill check out engine stuff after work.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

mymx3smokesalot wrote:kanadian pay this guy no mind,he answers everyone the same way with a big lecture about search. he wastes more time and space with his rants than he would if he just answered the question.
No not everyone, just those who appear to have not been responsible enough or too lazy to look up the information themselves. You of all persons know the benefits of the search function. It's never a waste of time if I can convince a newer member of the benefits of the search function and archived data. In the end they come away with a better overall understanding, at that is never a waste. It's only a rant if you wish to interpret it as so. I'm flattered that you're so concerned about how much time I supposedly waste .... thanks.
mymx3smokesalot wrote:i believe every possible question that can be asked about these 10 yr old cars has already been answered.so maybe the v6 tech forum should be closed to posting and just be for searching,
I am not of the same point of view as far as every possible question. Why, because there is always new products coming out in the market that can and sometimes are, incorporated into our car. Call it a progressive modernization. Whether it be future disty mods, future fuel, timing or spark management, future fluid upgrades or whatever, no not every possible question has been asked, matter of fact, never will. Perhaps you could post that proposal to the rest of the membership and see how warmly that is received.
mymx3smokesalot wrote: a person like jschrauwen who obviously has more important things to do wouldn't have to waste his time telling everyone to search. and damn does this guy live on here?
I don't believe I made it obvious that I had more important things to do and if I did, I'd be doing them. Again with the waste of time thing. I believe I've covered that already. Live on here - yep I do spend an inordiment amount of time on here, where I've learned a heck of a lot and hope to learn a lot more. And during that passage of time I like to help others along the way. Advising newer members to research their problems is one of the best ways I've found on here to learn about all of the "other" nuances that surround specific issues. Perhaps my posts in this thread would be more to your liking;
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=44482
This person thinks I'm doing more than just wasting time;
Vanished wrote:jschrauwen you have the best post I ever read. You put your heart and soul into helping people, and you sure spend alot of time on each post makin it perfect. Thanks man

Marlow, if you have specific issues with me it would not be appropriate to have them vetted here. You and I both know that you had ample opportunity to do the right thing in rectifying the botched purchase. You'll also notice that I wasn't vindictive enough to post a negative comment in the venders feedback forum. Your negative points are heard and understood and summarily dismissed. Perhaps your next post will have a more positive spin to it.

BTW, what was KanadianIceMan's response to my recommendation to the search;
KanadianIceMan wrote:fair enough i would say the same thing, im just impatient :D
Was I out of place or in error in my suggestion? .......

Check your IAC and ensure that the coolant lines are running to the TB. A thorough cleaning of the TB wouldn't hurt. Check very very very carefully your accordian intake tubing for any cracks. Also check all vaccum lines twice, even if it means to slip them off and put back on again. Look for my directions on using water or butane to search for vaccum leaks. Make sure all water thermosensors are intact and the connections are good. Ensure there is no vapour locks (air) in the cooling system, else they may rise to high points where sensors are and consequently give incorrect signals to the ECU. Just a few points that could have been found via a search and further data to support this is available.
Last edited by jschrauwen on August 14th, 2005, 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
KanadianIceMan

Post by KanadianIceMan »

KanadianIceMan wrote:well i started it up to show my buddy what the surging was.

and well, i tdidnt surge, it just sat at 2k RPM, i revved it, it was at like 2300, dropped back down to 2000

no surging..........

it has a weak a-- battery in there so maybe it just needs a new battery?

but, no surging. its up on jacks right now getting new tread tomorrow so ill check out engine stuff after work.

the search continues!
KanadianIceMan

Post by KanadianIceMan »

ohya this is exactly what happens

engine start,

2k RPM

warmup

surging, idle-2k, idle 2k
this will subside about 5 min after,

will then start again for say 30 seconds if you touch the throttle!
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

It really does sound like unmetered air is getting in somwhere....
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

KanadianIceMan wrote:ohya this is exactly what happens
engine start,
2k RPM
warmup
surging, idle-2k, idle 2k
this will subside about 5 min after,
will then start again for say 30 seconds if you touch the throttle!
After you've covered the previous items that I addressed and it still hasn't solved your issues than I'd look into doing a TPS adjustment. Normally that shouldn't be necessary and only if some components have been changed or modified would usually precipitate that. Since you've made no mention of any mods or changes or repairs or replacements, then I find it highly unlikely a TPS adjustment would be necessary since everything is still oem stock original. Or is it??? You haven't messed with any idle adjust screws have you? Read these, took me 5 minutes; http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... ht=surging
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... ht=surging

Good Luck
mymx3smokesalot

Post by mymx3smokesalot »

marlow??
sirsmokealot

jschrauwen

Post by sirsmokealot »

i ve been reading this form and found that you've accused me of having a problem with you and bad mouthing you on here. but that's not my thing just because you see someone else on here posting bad things about you because you cant just help someone which as this guy(mymx3smokesalot) has made very clear. dont assume its me and as for the problem issue you should explaining yourself to everyone and make it clear what happened.
shawno

Post by shawno »

Hey i dont no if you have already answered your surging question but a thing that work for my car. you can unplug the white conector on the TB, or what i did was I took off the TB , and took it all a part and i cleaned it all out with throttle body cleaner, get in in all the parts, and there are springs in there make sure you get all the dirt and s--- out of there.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”