weird engine noise

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
ariesdude

weird engine noise

Post by ariesdude »

I get a weird screeching sound whenever i start the engine after i had parked in direct sunlight for a bit - i dont get that noise when i start the engine in the morning - i park in an open parking lot during the day and when i start it in the evening there is this weird screeching noise - it usually goes away in about 30-60 secs. I checked the fluids and they seem to be fine - so does anyone know what would be the problem. Any help/info is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Sounds like the alternator drive-belt needs to be cked. for correct tension and adjusted if needed. Should have ~3/8" deflection when pressing w/moderate thumb pressure against center of the longest belt span. Don't over-tension though as that can damage the alternator bearings.

The screeching is the noise of the drivebelt slipping around the pulleys and can cause the belt's inner surface to harden w/a friction heated glazing, which in turn, leads to more slipping until eventually, that belt just melts itself into shreds.
Image -Jim
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Thanks for the info neutral - i will check it out.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Next time. please put it in the proper section. This is technical.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”