Check for gas

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Bradmx32003

Check for gas

Post by Bradmx32003 »

Car is turning over fine, but wont start. I tried to do a search but I probably wasnt searching with the right terms. So how can I check to make sure my engine is getting gas? And if the engine is turning over that means I am getting spark right?
Red 1992 Mx-3 GS, all stock.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

no, if the negine is turning over that means that its turning over, you need to check for spark and fuel, the fuel you shoudl be able to smell after a while of cranking, most liekely your disty has went since that is a common problem with these cars
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

OK I will crank and try smelling for gas... it could be the disty... I replaced it about 2 years ago... who knows. When the car is cranked should you not hear the fuel pump? I seem to remember the fuel pump making a buzzing noise, and i dont hear it anymore. So how do I check for spark?
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Excerpted from http://mypage.direct.ca/k/kdomries/nogo.html#fuelpump

"Check for spark- pull a spark plug wire loose from a spark plug and get an assistant to hold it while you crank the engine. If he yells and jumps back, a good spark is present. (Just kidding, this is probably not a good way to check for spark, a better way is to pull the wire off of the plug, stick a screwdriver into the end and, while holding the plastic handle, move the screwdriver so that the metal part is close to a piece of bare metal on the engine. Then get someone to crank the engine. If there is good spark you should see a spark jump from the driver to the metal... ...It should be able to jump a gap of almost 1/4 inch.) If it makes a good spark and you can hear a "snapping" sound, the ignition system is probably OK, replace the wire and Check for fuel TO the engine."

Ummm... save the wear 'n tear on your assistant by not electro-shocking him/her. Use the screwdriver method instead... :P
Image -Jim
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

Thanks, i'll check for a spark. Just got my gf to smell for gas and she couldnt smell any at all, and again I cant hear the fuel pump...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”