stickin a gs alternater in a rs car

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
cdngrl420

stickin a gs alternater in a rs car

Post by cdngrl420 »

ok after gettin the gs alternator i realize that its different then the rs what did u all do to fit it
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

You will hafta swap pulleys from your old RS alt onto the GS alt because the RS 'B' DOHC 4 cyl. alternator uses a V-belt but the GS 'K' engine alt uses a serpentine belt. The mounting bolts will also attach from the opposite side when installing the GS alt on your car. Once the alternator is mechanically installed the wiring just plugs in and your old belt will still fit fine since you swapped your old pulley on there. A bit more work than a strait-up replacement but your ride will like the extra 20amps (90a vs 70a rating of your old one)
Image -Jim
cdngrl420

Post by cdngrl420 »

thanx for the help i thought i was gonna have to get my dad to do a custom job on it lol
cdngrl420

Post by cdngrl420 »

ok i know neutral explained this all but can someone that has done the swap explain this because my dads not grasping the fact he thinks even with the pullys changed because the things bigger and the holes are different it wont fit and all this and now i cant even take it to the mechanics cuz i dont want to tow it there
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Are the Altenators from a sohc and a dohc the same?
I have one from my old sohc a bosch unit used for a year i could sell you for 60$ + shipping.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

after swapping the pullies its pretty much self explanatory. it mounts in exactly the same place just bigger. and the bottom bolt goes threw the opposite direction as the 4 cyl one. search the FAQ section, i rember seeing someone talking about it a few years ago. its real easy took me a half hour.
cdngrl420

Post by cdngrl420 »

well my dad managed to swap pullys after i argued with him that it ill fit today hes shifting the engine to place the alternator in i dont understand why the japs always make everything so damn hard to get to.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

i had to put mine in from the under side of the car.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Josh wrote:i had to put mine in from the under side of the car.
:2thumbsup: Yah, shifting the engine position is a bit too extreme of a measure just to get a path for inserting the alt. Hey cdngrl420, don't tell your Dad I said that. He's probably cursing me out already for saying the GS alt was swappable. Think of what a huge feeling of accomplishment he'll have when the swap is done! :wink: Uhhh... don't tell him I said that either... :P btw, you have a helluva Dad IMHO. (hmmm, it's ok to tell him I said that LAST part!)
Image -Jim
cdngrl420

Post by cdngrl420 »

neutral wrote:
Josh wrote:i had to put mine in from the under side of the car.
:2thumbsup: Yah, shifting the engine position is a bit too extreme of a measure just to get a path for inserting the alt. Hey cdngrl420, don't tell your Dad I said that. He's probably cursing me out already for saying the GS alt was swappable. Think of what a huge feeling of accomplishment he'll have when the swap is done! :wink: Uhhh... don't tell him I said that either... :P btw, you have a helluva Dad IMHO. (hmmm, it's ok to tell him I said that LAST part!)
oh i know he was there as my main mechanic for my honda now this one he really has no choice lol we finally got the damn thing to go in after like hours i was late for work :x he ended up taking the wheel off and jacking the car up and i jus stood there holding the light :cry: then when i tried to start it, it started smokin and my belts messed so i need a new belt but for some reason this belts too short now i dunno what to do cause i really dun wanna tell him we have to swap in an rs alt just for the belt hopefully mazda will have a solution but i have noticed my headlights are brighter and im not crawling as slow with my ac on
black_mx3

Post by black_mx3 »

yea...I just used the alt from an early 90's 626..just changed the pullies..it works great.
buying modded cars is like dating a pregnant woman...somone else already had the fun!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”